Permissions Loop

I've been planning for a cache here in Northern Ireland. The possible location is in a car park and viewing area which serves a National Nature Reserve. Being a good little cacher, I set off to seek permission from the responsible authority. That would be the NI Environment and Heritage Service, right?

Apparently not...

1)The E&H pointed out that the car park is not actually within the boundary of the NNR, and produced a map which shows this. They suggested I contact the council.

2)Down County Council said that, in this particular case, the car park in question gave onto an A-class road, and is therefore dealt with by the Roads Service Agency.

3)The RSA said that they aren't responsible for this car park, because it's part of a National Nature Reserve. When I told them it wasn't, they suggested I get in touch with the farmer who owns the land adjacent to the road.

4)The landowner (actually, his wife) said, no; the car park didn't belong to them – it was bought by the Government years ago, when the road was widened.

5)The land registry shows that this is true, but (of course) does not indicate who is now responsible for managing it. At which point...

...I give up.