Via Michelin Article

Metaphor

This was in my mailbox this morning...ViaMichelin Geocaching Article

Very good except for one word... B)

Searchers must also report their find to the community via the website.

I didn't care much for all the repeated references to "treasure hunting". And how many caches you gonna find with that big dash-mounted navigation unit they pictured? Still, it is a British-based article, guess that can explain a lot! B)

Edited by Mopar

You guys are nitpicking. Look at our own website on the main page where it says:

Join Geocaching -

The sport where YOU are the search engineTM

A GPS device and a hunger for adventure are all you need for high tech treasure hunting. Here you can find the latest caches in this fun and exciting sport.

That's most likely where the author got his information.

As for the "must report", here or navicache, I think it's just polite to do so, for the cache owner as well as the history of the cache.. The dash mounted GPS-- probably a stock photo used by the publication because it said GPS in the description...I've done similar in DTP work. I kind of doubt that too many geocachers in the UK are trying to drive around with car nav systems to go geocaching, just as there aren't too many Americans doing the same. Give them some credit -- I've seen dumber (and blatantly incorrect) articles from our own local sources As for the "British"-- I've met and enjoyed some of the most congenial, obliging and technologically savvy people in the UK.

For an all-around positive introductory article,

That was a very nice one.
I thought so too.

Sorry, I didn't mean for it to come across as insulting the UK. As a matter of fact I used to edit a UK magazine. Back then I was the one with the funny accent, the weird time zone, and the target of all the jokes. B)

Edited by Mopar

That's cool -- I just thought it might be taken the wrong way by our co-cachers in the UK -- sometimes we forget that we (from the US) aren't the only ones reading the forums. I've seen some pretty sharp bristling from Americans when someone from another country writes something that seems patronizing or condescending but really is innocuous and intended no foul. (I, too, get to be the one with the funny accent on occasion, and my friends and hosts across the Atlantic enjoy discussing the oddity of the way I look at some things. Of course, that's part of what makes it fun about traveling... that and the beer, of course.)

That's cool -- I just thought it might be taken the wrong way by our co-cachers in the UK -- sometimes we forget that we (from the US) aren't the only ones reading the forums. I've seen some pretty sharp bristling from Americans when someone from another country writes something that seems patronizing or condescending but really is innocuous and intended no foul. (I, too, get to be the one with the funny accent on occasion, and my friends and hosts across the Atlantic enjoy discussing the oddity of the way I look at some things. Of course, that's part of what makes it fun about traveling... that and the beer, of course.)