Etrex And Mapping Software

I am a n00b

I am looking for a PC mapping software that will display my current location as well as the location of WP's on my laptop. I want to use it while travleing around the US. We currently use GSAK to manage and load the WP's into the GPSr. I would like to be able to see all of the WP's on a map, and what their general location is. Does such an animal exist ?

Yes, in fact I do it all the time.

Assuming that you have a serial cable for your GPSr:

Go down to your local computer superstore and pick up a copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips. It should be less than $30.

Using GSAK you can export a file that Streets and Trips can import to show you the locations of the caches. The serial cable and S&T's GPS Tracking option will show your current location.

There are a number of other programs that will also do this, but Streets and Trips is by far the cheapest option and has some decent street maps.

If you need Topographic maps instead of street maps you will need a different program (and also somewhat more expensive). Garmins Topo, DeLorme's Topo 5, or National Geographic topo come to mind, but they are all in the $100 + range.

Costs $$:

Garmin MapSource

DeLorme

National Geographic

Microsoft Streets & Trips

Free:

USAPhotoMaps

OziExplorer

GPS TrackMaker®

The free ones make you work - you have to put map images onto blank geographical canvases, calibrate the image with known coordinates, etc. That may not be true with USA Photo, but still some work involved with it. The ones that cost $$ are pretty much ready to use after installation.

Hope it helps...

Edited by Neo_Geo

As long as you have an internet connection, USAPhotoMaps doesn't make you do much work. You click to import a gpx file, and press a key to download maps. The overlay is automatic, and remains after you disconnect from the net. It's very easy to use, and does a very good job. Mr. Cox asks you to send him some money, but if you don't all you get is a nag screen on exit.

B) I've used Delorme Topo USA to do this. It has saved me quite a bit of driving around trying to locate the correct road. I also like that by using the computer, you have a very large display. Of course a GPSr with maps would do the same thing and avoids the possibility of hitting a pot hole, and causing your computer harddrive to slam, resulting in a damaged and possibly not working computer.