Caches Near The Road

Gritstone

How do I search for Geocaches that are very close to public roads - i.e. don't require any walking to access.

I'm not lazy, but interested in finding caches whilst out on my bike, and walking in cycling shoes/clothes is a no-no.

I live in the Peak District - if there aren't any of this type I think I might create a multicache in this area, for cycling around...

I don't know of an easy way. You can read the cache descriptions and check the maps to get a good idea of distance from the road. I'm afraid that you may not find many caches that don't require at least a little walking. I like to cache hunt on my bike too, but I wear sneakers and gym shorts (you're obviously a much more serious biker than I am!).

Running a query for all caches with a terrain rating of "1" will certainly rule out the ones you will NOT want to look for in biking attire (the chafing kills!). From there you'll need to use the website or mapping software to eyeball them on a street map. Can't think of an easier way than that.

Ditto to the previous poster. I've really come to enjoy running queries, reading them into GSAK, and then exporting into MS Streets and Trips. Thanks to the guy who posted the FAQ about finding caches along a route for that good info.

I think something like that would probably be your best bet on trying to find caches that are close to roads.