Using "click To Email"

AuntieWeasel

I can't access my personal email from work, but I can use geocaching.com's webmail. I needed to email someone today who opted to show his real email address in his profile, in which case the "click to email" link isn't there. I managed it by hitting "click to email" for another user, then finding the guy I needed to email's userid by hovering over "see the forum posts for this user" and pasting that into the URL.

Okay, okay, where there's a workaround, there's not a problem. But it would be nice to leave the ability to email through webmail even if the user's real email is available. Both for people like me, who only get webmail from work, and because going through the site provides a privacy "cut out" between you and the recipient.

A small thing, but mine own.

I'd like that too, since when I click on their e-mail it opens Outlook Express, and I have a big problem with my Outlook Express, it won't let me delete anything. I don't use it. I suppose I could delete it, but I would probably screw it all up. However, I would never want to do anything that would slow down the gc.com webbsite, nope, not me! So I just press "Esc" until OE goes away, then copy and paste the e-mail into my e-mail sendy thingy.

You can also use this to access someone's profile page using just their name.

...Or even just the first part of their name. A drop down menu will show up giving you all the usernames that begin with what you've typed. This is a great feature for when you can remember that someone's username is cacher something but can't remember that it is actually cacher bob, for example.

Edited by subterranean
...Or even just the first part of their name. A drop down menu will show up giving you all the usernames that begin with what you've typed. This is a great feature for when you can remember that someone's username is cacher something but can't remember that it is actually cacher bob, for example.

That only kicks in when you've entered at least 5 characters. And it's only a trailing wildcard match. It would be great if it were Soundex based. Spelling, spaces and punctuation wouldn't matter so much.

I agree with AuntieWeasel.

Why have to search for a page, or modify an URL or whatever else, when we can just have a little click link...

Perhaps the system could be modified to make two links.. One the generic one that we have now, and a second one if the email addy is shown -- if you're going to make the email shown...

The other easy option could be to have it say "Click to email" if they don't want their address shown or "click to email to me@something.com" if they do, but have both go to the message form.

There's alot of reasons for not wanting to have email open in outlook.

For instance, at my house, the outlook account is my mother's. I use a web based mail program for my email. Therefore, sending a message through outlook would be like using a friend's mailing address for my snail mail.

also, is there a way to send an attachment when using the site's e-mail?

If you're looking to send a picture (for a virtual confirmation, for example), upload it to the web somewhere and email the link to the picture. You won't fill up the recipient's mailbox with your attachments and they can just click the link to see your picture.

also, is there a way to send an attachment when using the site's e-mail?

If you're looking to send a picture (for a virtual confirmation, for example), upload it to the web somewhere and email the link to the picture. You won't fill up the recipient's mailbox with your attachments and they can just click the link to see your picture.

If you need to host a picture for a short time, try TinyPic.com. Upload an image, and it will return a URL for you to use. It's the URL that's tiny, not the picture. The image will stay active for 30 days after the last access, or until it gets 10,000 hits. No watermarks, no pop-ups, no strings attached.