Uk Waypoint / Route Database

thox

I've been searching for a little bit trying to find a database of UK waypoints, routes and tracks but I've not found particularly much.

The biggest finds I've found are these:

http://www.36haroldstreet.freeserve.co.uk/gps_links.htm

http://www.travelbygps.com/guides/england/pubs.php

Does anyone know of a large UK database of waypoints, routes or tracks?

If not, does anyone think it might be a sensible idea to set one up? I'm thinking about it...

"geocaching forum" - true but I just see it as a big group of people using GPS rather than specifically just caches.

I meant waypoints and routes of any hikes, walks, climbs or just about anything throughout the UK. Of course geocaching gives you this already because you have to walk there anyway but I was hoping to find a database or just a website that contained a large number of routes that were easily available to upload to a GPS unit.

I'm a little surprised there isn't anything like this already.

Edited by thox

That's funny. I was toying with a similar idea. I was thinking along the lines of gps co-ords linked to walks published in books, guides, leaflets etc.

Partlcularly as some of these are not often clear.

The idea was that anybody who actually completed the walk could upload waypoints for significant turns, views etc.

Edited by kbootb
Try this one... routebank

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, but I was dissapointed to find searching did not work and clicking on the routes from the front page revealed some errors.

I'm a helper at one of the local Scout groups and in our latest camp we hiked 7 different routes. Of course it's great to have Scouts do this for themselves but it's equally helpful to have a few pre-set routes - or just somewhere I can upload the routes for storage so I can use them again another time.

I would be interested in knowing what kind of opinions people have of an online database of routes and waypoints.

I help run a travel club for independent travellers and I have tried to set up a database of waypoints, including famous buildings, sites, cafe's, hotels etc in the UK and around the world, using our e-newsletter that goes to 9000 people in 146 countries.

We have a few so far, but not as many as we had hoped. I thought it would be a useful resource for people when they go caching away from home, they could see a sight on a city map and probably know where the accommodation is in relation to it and would be able to search for caches using the Lat/Long option.

I think it would be useful if we got enough coords.

Padmassana