Indiana Dunes State Park

Team Racedog

We're thinking about a camping trip to Indiana Dunes so naturally I looked for nearby caches. It looks like there is only one in the park. I tried searching different area zip codes with no luck. Several caches in the surrounding area but practically nothing in the park. Does anybody know the reason for this? Some sort of ban? Seems really unusual to have so much public land with no caches. Just curious. Thanks.

Hi,

There is one cache in the park- Polar Bear Campout. There were a few others that have disappeared/been archived in the last few months. All the caches I believe have been in the state park, not the national lakeshore.

If you want to hit some caches, there are about six that right off of state hwy 49, less than ten miles south of the state park. The first is just South of 49 and I-94, the next three are in The Coffee Creek Reserve (very nice area), and there is a multi near there.

GREYHOUNDER - thanks for the compliment. That is Typhoon, our team's namesake. She's gotta be the laziest thing you've ever seen. She has about one small burst of energy a day. The rest of the time she just lays around. I like you avatar too. I just put a request in with AmishHacker to see if he can come up with something for us.

Team Tecmage - Thanks for the info. I don't know if we'll make it up that way this fall or not. Just looking for some different places to go. Might put this one off til next summer. Thanks again.

Greyhounder,

There are 2 Indiana Dunes. One is Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, which is indeed administered by the NPS. The other, just east of there, is Indiana Dunes State Park, which has no affiliation with the NPS.

Just clarifyin',

DadONine

We have been asked by the DNR to not approve caches in the IN Dunes state park and of course the national park is off limits for caches as well. They have a fragile eco system and the DNR would rather not have caches placed on the property.

Regards :rolleyes:

Mountain Climber