City Select Upgrades (are You Satisfied??)

kb9nvh

In my reading so far it seems everyone has been pretty happy with their upgrade to verion 6 city select. For me and my area, it was a major downgrade.

I wonder if POI's and highway information has improved greatly??? I need a reason to keep this "upgrade" and from what I've seen so far there is none.

Has anyone else been dissatisfied with version 6?

If anyone could check for me that this is truly the case and I'm not doing something wrong: Please load in the military navy base at Crane, Indiana south of bloomfield.

The roads on the military base I work on no longer "pin" and have lost their turn by turn navigation information. I bike ride on base and I like the upcoming road info popping up on the screen as I approach. This is gone now but worked well in verison 4.

The end of the road I live on (cherry ave in worthington, IN) is properly shown to connect to CR700 in version 4 of city select. Not in version 6 so now autorouting will never choose that way to go.

In my town of worthington indiana, in version 4.0 of city select the map shows the park in town (which has a circle road within the park). Version 6 deleted this road.

I just talked to a guy who lives in my area who said he was dissatisfied with his upgrade from v4 to version 5 as well.

OK you guys...I cant believe I'm the only one to have a gripe with the upgrades.

Well then....everyone who is delighted with the upgrade please chime in.

I'm looking for a reason to NOT make a stink about this...a group of folks telling me that "lots of POI's have been added" or "The exits going through StLouis are accurate now" or anything like that...might make me feel better about having spent $75 on, what so far looks to me, to be a downgrade.

5 added a lot of rural detail that makes it nice. 6, who knows. Unless I was having a problem I'd not mess with it.

As I understand it Garmin went with a differnet data source. Overall it's supposed to be a better map vender, however obviously overall doesn't mean they didn't have an issue in your neighborhood.

You should at least do something to get the map corrected in version 7.

I am looking at the Naval Weapons Support Center southeast of Crane Indiana. It looks to be spiderwebbed with road and highways. Of course, I don't know what it should look like, and I don't know what was in V4 or V5 (I never had V4 and I uninstalled V5 after I decided I was happy with V6 :mad: ) If you want to PM me your email address and a coordinate, I can send you a screenshot. I see what you are saying about your street in Worthington it doesn't connect with Cr 700.

As far as V6 goes, I am really happy with it. It has added more rural roads in my area including private roads. The POI info still is not perfect, but it is better, and a map will never be up to real life, especially in areas that are being built up rapidly.

I am looking at the Naval Weapons Support Center southeast of Crane Indiana. It looks to be spiderwebbed with road and highways. Of course, I don't know what it should look like, and I don't know what was in V4 or V5 (I never had V4 and I uninstalled V5 after I decided I was happy with V6 :mad: ) If you want to PM me your email address and a coordinate, I can send you a screenshot. I see what you are saying about your street in Worthington it doesn't connect with Cr 700.

As far as V6 goes, I am really happy with it. It has added more rural roads in my area including private roads. The POI info still is not perfect, but it is better, and a map will never be up to real life, especially in areas that are being built up rapidly.

Thanks for your efforts...all the roads are still there but as soon as you move into the base the roads no longer PIN (the big circle comes on). Also, upcoming streets are not announced (like they were in version 4).

Apparently, theyve eliminated some important routeing information for the base. The base is IN the map segment I loaded..it just is missing autorouting features that cause the problems.

Thanks everyone commenting...based on what everyone has said, I'll load in version 6 on trips and keep version 4 loaded for around home.

I finally took the inititive and reported the 6 or 7 errors that have nagged at me from version 4 that still exsisted in verion 6.

Only one item was fixed in my area...the bridge across the white river on SR157 west of worthington now correctly crosses straight acrosss (on the new bridge that was built in the 40's LOL). Version 4 still had the old bridge from the 40's that jogged left and right at the river.

i switched from the metroguide canada 4 to city select 6 tonight and i have noticed for starters that none of the lakes (well most) are only on the metro guide maps.. ive also noticed a fair number of smaller subdivisions i drive in normally have more accurate maps in metroguide then city select.

on the plus side, city slect auto-routes me (with gps 60c) using the routes i normally dirve... so i guess i have to decide if i want the more accurate maps or better routes for now