Whyjust Looking For Opinions?

5¢

THANK YOU....THANK YOU...THANK YOU...for this thread...

I have had a rough week...long days...ready for the weekend...needing a good chuckle...and then I stumbled onto this thread. I usually have very little interest when geocaching discussions get "too serious"...(I mean...this is a hobby...sport...supposed to be fun, right?!)...but for some reason this thread has grabbed my atttention...

I've been sitting here for the last ten minutes reading these posts and have literally cackled out loud in laughter........from the COMMA class...to the Mean People Suck section...I'm having a blast...

Unfortunately (or fortunately...for our entertainment value) people sometimes have a hard time putting their thoughts into easily understood words...and Lord knows, the responders to this thread have clearly zeroed in on that...

Okay...Let me go get a drink and a snack and I'll be right back...heck...I might get the wife...

Then there are the numbers hounds. They will log anything as long as it adds to their find count because they want the "prestige" that comes with having a high find count. They'll log finds on caches that aren't there, finds if they pass the park that the cache is in, virtuals after getting verification answers through a Google search, finds on their own caches, or on caches they helped place...anything for a smiley. Often this type will skip multi caches and any cache that takes more than 30 minutes to get to, because they'd rather be logging 3 drive and dumps in that 30 minutes than "wasting all that time" for one cache.

It's seems you left out another group, one that I guess I fit into, or used to at one time. There are those who like to rack up high numbers because they like the competition and do it without logging caches that aren't there, do go after multis, actually visit the virtuals, don't log caches they helped place, don't log their own event caches etc.

Back when the leaderboard was in place, there were a few folks who were the top finders in my state. I knew I could never catch them, but there was some fierce competion to get in to the top ten. It was a driving force for me, and it was fun to see your rank go back and forth as those others competed for that slot.

Living in a cache rich area certainly helps, but I know for a fact that the top number getters around here are still racking up the numbers even though they cleared out the area a long time ago. I see their logs and see that the will travel to surrounding cities and states to find caches.

Once the leaderboard went away, I still used my find count to motivate me, trying to beat my old record and seeing how many I can get in one day. The most I've ever done in a day is only a dozen or so, a small number compared to others but still satisfying.

I really don't have the opportunity to drive to other cities to cache like some of the others do, and I do envy those who could. I don't feel anything against them, in fact I wish I could be like them.

Lately I've slowed down because of other things that are filling my time, but this time off has been good since the area near me is slowly being repopulated with new caches.

Yeah, maybe the game was never meant to be played where you could find more than one or two a day, but the game has grown. It used to feel like geocaching was my little secret, even though I hadn't started until early 2002. Since then I've seen it grow to the point where they ran out of numbers for the caches. It's really not the same game any more, the newspaper articles keep bringing more people in and geocaches are appearing almost everywhere you go.