Pocket Querie Help

wifireman

Ok folks. New to the PQ thing here so need some assistance! I am going on a apx. 200 mile trip. Now i did a PQ from the starting point and put in 225 miles from starting point just to make sure i got all of caches in my route.and when after opening the PQ I could only get 85 miles from my starting point due to beeing over 500 waypoints. Now question is, Is there a way to choose cache waypoints in the route? Like Im looking for caches 25 miles on either side of my route down (Mostly state Highway) to the destination.

The easiest way to do this is to use cache management software such as GSAK, which will allow you to list all caches within x miles of a route and download the to your GPSr, Palm or whatever. You should be able to get more infor here. Try searching this 5 page topic (using Ctrl F from the top of each page) for "route", or post to that topic and Clyde will help.

Happy hunting!

I couldn't find anything about generating waypoints along a route in either the post referenced above or the GSAK help file. Maybe I missed it.

The only way I can think of to do this is to pick a center point every 25 miles along the route, generate separate queries within a 25 mile radius of each center point, and then combine the queries using GSAK or other waypoint management software (e.g. Utopia). This seems like a tedious approach for a long route.

Anyone know of an easier way?

Ok. I got the doing PQ like every 50 or 75 miles . but question If i have multiple PQ's will it take out the mulitleple caches if it picks up the same waypoint, or will I have to go delete it if it finds it multiple times. Hope this isnt confusing. I also right now use EasyGPS, but am considering changing over to GSAK.

Now next question is for the PDA users. Can I put in multiple PQ's into there? I use plucker and spinner?

When I do multiple pocket queries along a route, I merge them together first in order to eliminate the duplicates. Then I further pare them down by deleting waypoints that are too far away from my route. But be careful when using Plucker/Spinner: I experience performance problems if my resulting GPX file is, say, 1,145 waypoints. Instead, when traveling to a cache-dense area, I will do one pocket query in a circle around a centerpoint of my destination area, and a separate one for the route I'll drive to get there (made up of several merged files as just described). Then I will load these onto my PDA as separate Plucker files, one of which will be named "Travel" and the other based on my destination, like "Cleveland Event." If each of those have 500 or so caches, everything works quite well.

So yes, you can have multiple channels using Plucker. Just pluck your spun GPX files one at a time, creating a new channel for each one, then hotsync them all at once. I've done up to 4 or 5 that way, capturing close to 2,000 caches on my PDA.

You can have multiple PQs on your PDA if you use GSAK to create multiple HTML output files. (GSAK does all that Spinner does and more I think.) I have one for Phoenix, one for Tucson, and one for GA--all depending on where I'm going. You can load all your gpx files into GSAK, filter them by where you're going or what you're looking for, and then create HTML output for that query (easy to do). Then do another query and do the same thing in another folder. Create several Plucker channels (one for each HTML output folder) and you're in business. I keep several with me at all times just in case I go out of town without warning. That way I don't have to do the query and then use Plucker on it which takes a while. I just have to upload my GPS with what I want.

Edited by Team J
I couldn't find anything about generating waypoints along a route in either the post referenced above or the GSAK help file. Maybe I missed it.

The only way I can think of to do this is to pick a center point every 25 miles along the route, generate separate queries within a 25 mile radius of each center point, and then combine the queries using GSAK or other waypoint management software (e.g. Utopia). This seems like a tedious approach for a long route.

Anyone know of an easier way?

GSAK calls this an ARC filter. Click on the Arc/Polygon filter button when the main filter dialog is displayed.

You can then just enter your points for your route (or import from a text file or a street Atlas route file)

For more information please see the help topic http://www.gsak.net/help/hs4800.htm

I am learning a lot, I am new too, to the ways of paperless. Can someone tell me how to do locationless ones. They need a waypoint or zip and will only do ones that originated within 500 miles. As anyone knows some locationless ones are from all around the world. Any clues as to how to do a pocket query for this? I just wanted to have these when I travel.