Old Chap

marep

What about old wooden house being used as a geocache "container"? I have over 250 years old wooden house which is not used for living anymore. It is placed in nice location and is good starting point for several hikes around. I would like to place a notice board to write logs and some shelving on house's outside walls for trading geocaching items....

What do you think? Is there any similar cache, where I can steal some ideas?

MarE

Wow, I've seen normal caches, and micro-caches, but never a macro-cache!! Would have to set a record for the largest cache container yet! :rolleyes: Sounds like a neat idea. It would be extremely accessible to muggles, but might actually be a good way to invite/welcome new people to become geocachers.

Edited by 4x4van

Insurance is definately a big thing. But other than that, the idea is absolutely awesome! Maybe you could make it a multi, and have the keys for the door in a micro or something and people have to find the first stage to get the key, and then they don't really know what the key is for, until they realize it's for the house...

OK, I am happy you like the idea.

This is the old house:

IMG_7667.sized.jpg

It's small and has no floors. It's not used for living since about 1980. It's last resident was old man. Some decades ago a family with 5 children lived in this house. Now only the roof is changed from straw-covered to tile. We were thinking to set back straw roof. Unfortunately old straw-roof experts are very rare and we will have to plant rye.

House is almost empty at the moment. It's locked when nobody is around. People in the area are very generous. Same is with the house, which is open for anyone. We produce some wine (from own wine-yard) and anyone who passes by can taste it.... so there's no worry about miscreants :rolleyes:

Today I found old barrel and took it's cover out for plaque. The are where house is placed is wine growing region. I was thinking this cache can slightly avoid some rules and permit trading wine.... what do you think?

IMG_7662.sized.jpg

When house is locked (noone around), trading will be around this barrel lid and old pot:

IMG_7663.sized.jpg

Oh yes, the location (Slovenia-Europe):

N45° 48.6288

E15° 17.4030

MarE

Old caches? I do know where the outer walls and foundation of an 1800's stage stop is still standing--aint no way I am telling where it is or placing a cache there.

As for straw thatch roofs you might look at the "Foxfire" series of books I believe from the elders living in the Appalachians. Some very interesting stuff there. <_<

Edited by KEYPERSN