Garmin Switch Off Problem

kbootb

I know a number of people have reported their Garmins switch off from time to time.

Just gathering data: has anyone noticed that it is worse with rechargables?

I noticed that whenever mine switched off the rechargables that I was using were very hot. Either there is a temp sensor (doubt it) or the hot batteries were delivering lower than required voltage.

Rechargables do tend to run hotter and quickly dip to below 1.5 volts. Something like 1.3 and remain there for most of the time.

If you press in and hold click stick then power on you will come to a test screen which gives data on Temp? and Voltage plus other info, problem i have is to remembe to change the battery type in setup. never had GPS on long enough to get batterys hot!!

I've noticed that the physical length of AA re-chargeables varies by as much as 0.8mm from one manufacturer to another. The Garmin eTrex series has always been a bit suspect in the battery connection department and using 'short' batteries exacerbates the problem. I've found that the 2200mAh re-chargeables from Ansmann are a much tighter fit in my Legend than any of the other makes I have. Err... don't measure the length with a vernier calliper <_<:blink::o

Check what software version your GPS is using, there were problems with the Etrex range with an earlier software version.......the unit would briefly say no external power detected, shutting down....

Dont know if your seeing this at all, it was a brief message and if you weren't watching you'd miss it!

By downloading the latest firmware version for YOUR GPS from Garmin may fix this.......it did it for mine.

Mart

I've been having a switch off problem with my 60C over the last week or so. I think the cause was a contact problem though, as I have now cured it by packing the batteries in using 2 cigarette filters, which seems to hold them in place.

It is annoying though, after spending over £350 quid on a new GPS to find that something so basic does not work properly.

Tigger

It could be tired contact springs in the battery compartment. It's a good idea to remove batteries when the unit is not in use so the springs don't continue to be compressed. My Garmin 3+ came with a spare contacts spring insert which increases pressure on the batteries to maintain good contact. Very handy when hurtling along a rough track with it mounted on the handlebar of the mountain bike!

Although recommended use of rechargeables is given in the manual I had a battery compartment cover melt whilst using them. Garmin were very good at sorting the unit out but as a result I now only use Duracell.