Gps

cachhunter82

You can look into the basic Garmin etrex or the Geko model. The basic Magellan Sportrack would be good too. I would stick to Garmin or Magellan as they are the most popular and supported by third party software/accessories. I guess the current best deal for a Garmin or Magellan would work.

We have the Etrex Garmin and a Magellan sporttrax both the yellow ones. The sporttrax was more money, instruc book we found to be a little more confusing and 2 mos after we got it, it shorted out and we had to pay the shipping to fix it. They sent a few extras after they fixed it but it left us with bad feelings. We got the Etrex for about $50 less, I got it out of the box and (with out my husband) put the batteries in it, read the quick guide and went off and did a cache' w/ the kids. They both have good reception under the trees. For the $ and ease of use we like the Garmin, a few less navigation screens, than sporttrax but we still like it more.

quote:
Originally posted by ChiefPig:

quote:
Originally posted by opie744:

... I got it out of the box and (with out my husband) put the batteries in it, read the quick guide and went off and did a cache' w/ the kids.

Thank goodness or else your husband would have inserted the batteries the wrong way! icon_biggrin.gif

You mean these things require batteries? No wonder I'm having so many problems finding these things icon_wink.gif

Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them. The rest go geocaching.

We're looking for a second unit, so I just visited this question. For basic geocaching the eTrex is fine. MSRP is $106, and you can always find it for a little less. The more expensive units have features you don't really need for most geocaches. Paying more gets you things like a built in compass, street maps if you want to use it for driving, more memory for waypoints (you get 500 in the eTrex, and you don't ever need more than that at any given time), larger screens (which suck your batteries). If you only want something to help you find your first 100 caches you won't lack anything with a basic unit. Finally, I recommend Garmin because that's what I'm familiar with--you should look at Magellan's units considering the same features.