New Micro Caches Near A Virtual?

dimitris

Hi,

I am thinking of placing several micro caches in the centre of Athens

(in the national gardens), but there is already a virtual there (Athina Kipos Virtual Cache).

Is it ok to place the micro caches there? Or is it too close? Given that Greece

has very few caches already, I think this is a good area to place some since it is very

touristic and right in the middle of Athens. What do you guys think?

Thanks

Dimitris.

Edited by dimitris

You approver would probably require any new cache to be futher than 161 meters from a cache currently in place. The fact that there is a virtual may be because of a restriction from placing a container. You might want to check to see if permission is required at the site you want to place your cache.

Good Luck

Edited by Elf Danach

One of the reasons why the rules on virtual caches have gotten so strict is because they "block" the later placement of a physical cache like the micro you have planned. That's too bad, since I would like to see the cool spot PLUS hunt for a well-placed micro.

Maybe you could also try contacting the owner of the virtual and asking whether they would mind archiving their cache? Especially if this is an old virtual that is owned by somebody from far away who marked the waypoint while on vacation.

Well, I dont see a reason why a virtual and a normal cache cannot coexist in the same

location. Anyway, I wouldnt like the owner to archive the virtual cache since it offers

some historical insight to the geocachers, while mine would be scattered around the monument (not very near) and would offer a normal caching experience.

I dont understand why virtuals "block" other normal caches. In my opinion they can naturally coexist...

The issue is how to handle cache saturation, when an area gets covered with just too many caches, so that is why they are spaced at least 528 feet/161 meters apart. This comes from the Cache Listing Guidelines, which say:

The approvers use a rule of thumb that caches placed within .10 miles (528 feet or 161 meters) of another cache may not be listed on the site. This is an arbitrary distance and is just a guideline, but the ultimate goal is to reduce the number of caches hidden in a particular area and to reduce confusion that might otherwise result when one cache is found while looking for another. 

On the same note, don't go cache crazy and hide a cache every 600 feet just because you can. If you want to create a series of caches, the site approvers may strongly encourage you to create a multi-cache.

If you place your micros at least 528 feet away from each other, and from the virtual cache, you'll be fine. Also, the approvers will bend the rules a bit, especially when one of the caches is a virtual, so maybe you could get away with a micro that's, say, 125 meters away. Good luck!

cache saturation in Greece :laughing:

I would like to see it happen, but probably not very soon. The problem is that

that park is ideal for some micros. I will follow the 161m rule, but will play with

my luck and plant them 160m away and see what the approver says :unsure:

As quoted above, the distance is a "rule of thumb" & "a guideline".  Ask the other cacher if they object to a micro going in that close, and (if not) then talk to the local approver.  I've placed caches this way without problems.

One of the main reasons for the "rule of thumb" and "guide" wording is that there may be some circumstances where two caches are close by latitude and longitude, but they are very different in their hunts.

If one is on the top of a 1000 foot vertical cliff and the other on the bottom, they may only 100 feet apart by latitude and longitude, but you can just get from one to the other by walking 100 feet. Another example (one that happens more often in Illinois) would be caches on opposite banks of a small river.

Of course, your mileage may vary with a different reviewer (in Greece is that kilometerage?).

I would agree that you should try contacting the owner of the virtual cache and seeing if they're willing to archive their cache in favor of your micros.

According to the virtual cache page this location is next to the Parliment Building. I don't think that would be a good place for anything other than a virtual in today's world. Do you think permission would be given if someone wanted to place one on Capitol Hill? Anything is possible of course, but it might be better to place the micros somewhere else, just in case.

Actually, the virtual is right in the middle of the national gardens, which is open to the public and offers a good location for setting several micros which "guide" the cacher through the gardens.

I was planning to place the caches at the edge of the garden furthest away from the parliament building in order to avoid any problems with security etc...

cache saturation in Greece :tired:

I would like to see it happen, but probably not very soon. The problem is that

that park is ideal for some micros. I will follow the 161m rule, but will play with

my luck and plant them 160m away and see what the approver says :tired:

If cache saturation is not an issue in Greece, then why not find another spot that is far enough away from the virtual? If threre is room, then use it.