I Need Help, I Must Be Technologically Challenged

Hey all,

I have an etrex Legend and would like to download waypoints (simple request...). the problem is that there seems to be a com port conflict with my computer. I am attempting to us "EasyGPS" and all seems to work well until I send the waypoints to my GPS. At this time I get a "Could not open Serial Port COM2" flag. I have a Gateway and the modem is using COM2 currently. When I try to reassign the COM port through EasyGPS, the field is inacative and won't let me change it to COM1.

Help?!?

Thanks in advance.

Fndrs-Kprs

Edited by fndrs-kprs
Hey all,

I have an etrex Legend and would like to download waypoints (simple request...). the problem is that there seems to be a com port conflict with my computer. I am attempting to us "EasyGPS" and all seems to work well until I send the waypoints to my GPS. At this time I get a "Could not open Serial Port COM2" flag. I have a Gateway and the modem is using COM2 currently. When I try to reassign the COM port through EasyGPS, the field is inacative and won't let me change it to COM1.

Help?!?

Thanks in advance.

Fndrs-Kprs

Do you use a PDA with this computer?

A lot of PDA hotsync software will "hook" the COM ports, even if it uses a USB connection rather than an actual serial port, it can prevent the COM ports from working properly. If this is the case, shut down the hotsync software completely (not just disabling it or putting it into standby), and then try the GPS again.

Hope this helps!

How many physical serial ports does the computer have? (1 or 2)

Is there ANYTHING physically attached to serial port 1/COM1? Mouse? Another modem (external), label maker, card scanner?

Which physical serial port is the GPS connected to? (1 or 2)

If your computer has 2 physical ports, and you're plugging your GPSr into the #2 serial port (normally COM2), then that port may be disabled so as not to conflict with the modem (which has the high honor of occupying COM2). Even if the #2 serial port is active, it would likely be assigned as COM4 and would still probably conflict with the modem.

Edited by Neo_Geo