Island Cache?

godchaser

QUOTE (briansnat @ Jul 31 2004, 04:27 AM)

I actually agree that rating terrain 5 stars due to special equipment does not necessarily (and in fact, most often does not) equate to an outstanding cache. But, it is currently the method employed by gc.com to flag the caching community the need for special equipment. Common sense should prevail as to what is special equipment. Simply ask yourself, is the equipment required to get to the cache a piece of equipment normally carried by the average cacher? If the answer is no, then it is special equipment. Until GC.com changes the method to flag special equipment caches, we should all use the guidelines as established. 

You said it better in one short paragraph than I did in almost a dozen posts! 

I tend to agree. The current rating system is designed to flag the need for specialized equipment and also highlight the "epic" cache hunt.

Also, remember, a rating is designed for the average cacher. Mileage will vary between couch potatoes and triathletes.

Ok, ok, I don't give up. Navdog, I walked ten miles in the CO badlands to get to "Bushmaster," and it remains one of my favorite and most memorable caches. My last five star "Island cache" did not require water travel at all, only a five minute, flat land stroll from my motor vehicle. Everything should be taken into consideration. Flagging is ok if your lost, but I thought research was part of the sport. Skadog

My last five star "Island cache" did not require water travel at all, only a five minute, flat land stroll from my motor vehicle

Well that sounds like a poorly rated cache. Because some people mis-rate caches doesn't mean you should throw the standards out the window.

Edited by briansnat