Garmin 60c + 60cs Firmware Updates 3.43

Kones

Ok, so there are new updates for these units, still only beta, but hey, I'll take what I can get. :-) Also, they have the xImage software that allows you to grab and upload images to the units. Very cool, but I can't get anything to upload (to replace the splash screen for instance) They say that feature is for newer units, but don't say which those are. Anyone have any idea?

Ok, so there are new updates for these units, still only beta, but hey, I'll take what I can get. :-) Also, they have the xImage software that allows you to grab and upload images to the units. Very cool, but I can't get anything to upload (to replace the splash screen for instance) They say that feature is for newer units, but don't say which those are. Anyone have any idea?

So far, the supported models are:

eTrex Legend C

eTrex Vista C

GPSMAP 60C

GPSMAP 60CS

GPSMAP 76C

GPSMAP 76CS

Quest

From the xImage Help file:

If 'Splash Screen' and/or 'Waypoint Symbol' are not available in the Image Type list, then your GPS unit does not support downloading those types of images. For a list of compatible GPS units, visit

I have a 60C and I don't remember seeing the Splash Screen option. I just remember seeing the Waypoint Symbols. I was only interested in the Waypoint Symbols, so it's possible that I missed the Splash Screen option. I'm gonna check for it first thing when I get home tonight.

Someone tried it with a B&W Legend and was able to get a screen-shot. I suppose you can use xImage to get a screen-shot from any Garmin model...?

Anyone else notice that the system goes crazy when you are sitting still and the compass is turned off?

The compass screen, satellite page, and map page jumps wildly when you are sitting still and the compass is turned off.

It takes about one second to start spinning like mad and will not stop until you start moving again or turn on the compass.

That's the expected behavior. When standing still, your measured speed will fluctuate around zero in all possible directions. This is normal. This is exactly the problem the magnetic compass serves to eliminate.

I know about it having drift, but I am talking about severe changes. I have never seen a GPS do this before and I have owned 7 different models and used 2 military types over the last 10 or so years. Even when SA was active I never had anything like this. If I have the map set to Track Up the unit can not even finish redrawing the current screen before it changes again. To the point that almost nothing shows up on the map screen after only about 1 minute because it is changing so quickly.

I am thinking about doing a full reset and see if that helps.

I was just wondering if anyone else with the new firmware has noticed this.

Anthony

<update>

I have figured it out. I had emailed Garmin about something different and got 2 answers for the price of one. There is a setting for Speed Filter under Main Menu> Setup> Marine. The tech said it is used to help smooth out tracks, and with it turned off you tracks will be quote"zig-zaggy". After I set it back to auto, everything was peaceful again.

</update>

Edited by we3dements