Navigating W/out Gps

tjtm

So what did people do to navigate on land before the GPS? I'm new and it doesn't seem much of a challenge if I can see a map where a cache is. Also, what happens if you run out of batteries or you can't get a sat reading? I sailed on a tall ship about 17 years ago for 9 mos. We used to take sextant readings for navigating. What was used for land and is it possible to do geocaching w/out a GPS device?

THanks,

Helena :unsure:

There are some cachers who still rely on a compass and maps. Walden Run and Webling come to mind. Many times the challenge comes when you get to the last 50 feet or so of ground zero according to your gps. Depending on weather conditions and tree cover the gps will only get you so close. Then you just about have to put the gps away and use the old peepers to actually find the cache. In theory Geocaching sounds very simple, in reality it can be quite difficult. :unsure:

To be honest, I've never heard of using a sextant for geocaching. If you decide to try it please post your experience here.

There are geocachers who hunt for urban caches sans GPS, using just a map - I've found a few myself that way, but it is usually more of a challenge.

As to your question of "what did people do to navigate on land before the GPS", they used whatever technology was available at the time. If GPS had been around, I'm sure many of them would have used it.

It may seem quite simple, but with the EPE (estimated position error) of your unit and the EPE of the unit of the cache hider, the cache could be as many as 50-60 feet from where your GPS is telling you it is.

Now if you're in a field, or desert looking for an ammo box, that might not matter much. Not many places to hide something, so even with the margin of error, it will be easy, but try looking for a cache in a boulder field, or in dense undergrowth and its a whole different story. Same goes for looking for a micro in a city park. That's why caches have difficulty ratings and a cache that's rated 3+ stars in difficulty can take hours, or multiple trips to find.

Before GPS (and its predecessor, Loran), people used a simple map and compass to navigate and most people still do. Any serious outdoorsman still has these skills and can use them if the GPS fails. In fact anybody who ventures into the backcountry is foolish to do so if they are relying solely on their GPS.

Before GPS (and its predecessor, Loran), people used a simple map and compass to navigate and most people still do. Any serious outdoorsman still has these skills and can use them if the GPS fails. In fact anybody who ventures into the backcountry is foolish to do so if they are relying solely on their GPS.

Even if the GPS doesn't fail, it can only give note the direct line path to your destination. Having a mapping feature will help, but it's just not the same as a compass and map for an overall view of what you are doing. And then, who wants to pack all those batteries? :unsure:

As for geocaching without a GPS, people also use aerial photography to see details that might not be on a topo map, like buildings.

In fact anybody who ventures into the backcountry is foolish to do so if they are relying solely on their GPS.

And I have seen many of those idiots this summer. I find backpackers or hikers in the back country and they swear by their GPS. And this usually occurs while I'm teaching the Land Navigation Course. So I'll ask them if they can show me where they are on the map. And the reply is usually I have the waypoints for the car saved. If that electronic marvel got broken they are in deep do do do do.

They do not even have a clue as to where they are, so in a sense they are lost.

I grew up using a map and compass just like it was done generations before me, and will never totally trust my GPS in the back country. Give me a map and I'm ok.