Tempering My Enthusiasm For Expertgps...a Little

WHile I will say that I really love ExpertGPS and all the excellent features, many of which I have yet to discover, I have really been disappointed with the quality of the topo maps that I have downloaded to my PC. I was caching the other day in tracking mode using maps downloaded to my laptop and found that a good-sized reservoir and state park that have been around for 25 years were not on the map. I went to my local map store and found that there have been at least 2 photo revisions of the 1:24K topo since the reservoir was built.

Now I understand that ExpertGPS does not maintain the maps database. They link to a Microsoft site (the name of which escapes me), but I was hoping for better maps than what I've seen thus far. What's your experience?

The USGS maps for an area near my house haven't been updated since the 50s! I checked the TOPO site and others and they have the same maps.

On the maps, there is a naval hospital erected during WWII and torn down in the 50s. It was a field for years and is now apartments and a shopping center.

Now I understand that ExpertGPS does not maintain the maps database. They link to a Microsoft site (the name of which escapes me), but I was hoping for better maps than what I've seen thus far. What's your experience?

The maps provided as a free service of Microsoft's Terraserver. The maps are produced by the USGS, and many have not been updated for years. Most of the topographic mapping programs out there use the same maps (or digital equivalents) in their software.

If you have a beef with the maps, you need to contact the people that make them. You can also become involved with updating the maps. Read these links:

Usgs - The National Map, Formerly USGS Earth Science Corps

U.s. Geological Survey Earth Science Corps (the link in this post has changed- refer to the first thread to see the new web address)

Good info and ideas everyone. Is it possible that the paper maps at the USGS may be updated while the USGS digital maps have not?

I may have misled here a bit. The reservoir that I saw on the 1:24 was Steineker not Red Fleet, so I don't know for sure if the topo containing Red Fleet has/hasn't been updated.

FYI, Red Fleet does not appear on my version of TopoUSA or on the downloaded map from Terraserve, but it is one of the downloadable waypoints from Topografix/ExpertGPS. The coordinates are:

N 40.57802 W 109.41738

Anyone see a body of water at these coordinates with their software? Now if no one else sees it then I will redirect my "disgruntledness" toward the USGS and (as was suggested) get involved with helping to get these maps updated.

Thanks Milbank....that's the place. Please note that my version of TopoUSA is 3.02. Anyone see Red Fleet on later versions of Mapsource TopoUSA.

Dan Foster,

It appears that this is not a USGS issue. Do you have a way to bend ears at TerraServe to get this area updated?

Everyone,

Thanks for responding. I know I can't start a thread everytime I find data missing, and I certainly won't do that. But using this one example has helped me learn some new things. So thank you!