Cache In/trash Out ???

Why do I seem to be seeing more trash in the caches then in the area around the caches? I have seen more junk/ trash in caches lately. makes you want to cache in /trash out the cache contents don't people do maintenance on their caches? :)

My guess would be, warmer temps and more cachers about = more caching (both you and everyone else) = more trading = more junk ending up caches (which your seeing).

I always forget something when I set out on a hunt.

Sometimes it's my raincoat, more often than not it's spare batteries. I also tend to think I can get away without proper walking footwear. So far I haven't forgotten my GPSr but one day I will.

And yes, occasionally I forget to take something to trade. In which case: no problem, "TNLN".

I recently found a cache containing a pocket-pack of tissues. With one missing (it had been "resealed" with the little plastic tape thing". Ugh. Come on people :tongue:

In fact for me, trading isn't so important. But I bumped into some fellow cachers once who were really upset because they'd forgotten their trade items - they *always* trade and they keep *every* item as a souvenir. In the end they placed a 1-Euro (about $1.20) coin in there (well, it was that or the car keys). I don't suppose anyone minds finding a usable coin.

I have seen more junk/ trash in caches lately

Lately? This has been a problem since the beginning. Actually, if anything, I think things have gotten slightly better. In the early days of the sport people interpreted take something/leave something to mean take anything/leave anything and I'd find stones and acorns that were obviously from around the cache inside it, along with bottle caps, pennies, pocket lint, you name it. I still see some of this, but I also see more and more people stocking their caches well and bringing nice stuff to trade. Part of this is because the forums have made people more aware that others don't want to find their garbage in caches.

The problem will never go away. There will always be leaches out there who will take a $4 item and leave a losing, already scratched off lottery ticket, or an expired bus pass. Better maintenance is one answer, but I think it's too much to ask that cache owners go out and re-stock their caches every few months. Its great when they do, but I'm happy if they just keep it in good repair. Afterall, all most of us want is a dry logbook anyway.

Edited by briansnat

Yeah, CITO should apply to the caches, too :tongue: I always take the liberty of maintaining caches when I go. It seems like the right thing to do... I always carry a pack of dollar stuff with me. When things are not looking good, I take out the broken McCrap and leave some cheap, yet decent, items for trade.