Dead And Fallen Trees

kbootb

Am I just looking at things differently now I've got into geocaching or are there more fallen and dead trees now?

I've been caching in Epping forest mainly. I've lived nearby all my life and often visit but seem to come across so many fallen giants and whole areas of dead mature trees.

Is it just that I am considering their potential as cache sites? :huh:

Yup. You'll never look at your surroundings the same way again. :huh: A good example of that is the incredible number of yellow Jeeps I've seen after first learning about the infamous Yellow Jeep Locationless cache. I find myself following them home from the store now. In this part of North America, cedar trees with the branches clear down to the ground seem to be a very popular spot to hide caches. And they're everywhere. Now I get whiplash driving through the countryside from looking at each and every cedar tree I pass, wondering if there's a cache hidden under it. If a sudden blight came along and wiped out the entire species of tree, it would eliminate the majority of caches in Kansas!

Part of this is that you get more observant (nosey :) ) the other thing is modern forest / woodland management has shown that clearing dead trees, branches etc reduces the biodiversity of the woodland. Leaving them in situe leads to more insects, so we get more birds etc. These are of benefit to the trees as the parasites that carry diseases are reduced and you get generally healthier trees and more wildlife to boot.

I think the particular thing you've noticed in epping forrest is due in part to the storm of 1988, a lot of the fallen trees were probably cleared then, and this has left large open areas all over the place, this means lighter winds can push trees over easily.

I was caching there yesterday, and noticed it gets quite windy up there. I even found myself running back from a cache when trees started to creak.

Ahh! Dead Trees places to hide things!!!, thank you storms, and Michael Bird

TIDE: LLEPS KCEHC ENOD

Shouldn't thet be Michael Fish?

Was never good at Biology!!

Who's Michael Bird then!! must be losing it, or was it the Famous Grouse! :o