Is This Doable?

Fakk 2

Ok, I was surfing the net for TB ideas, and came up with this....

There is a tree of life pendant, that I would purchase, and attach a tb. (ok so far doable.) The Mission though is that you are to take the tb, then Plant a tree, sapling, bush. Get Long/Lat coordinates and leave the TB. Then the next person could come by, take the tb, go plant a tree, leave the tb, and get new corrdinates. And repeat process.

The trouble I am seeing though. unless everyone is already watching the TB noone would know it was in their area, since its not placed in a cache. There is no log, not to mention a moving cache isnt allowed.

So I ask the community how could I set up this tb, to inspire people to get with their community to plant a tree, then have it so that GC.com can let those nearby know its there. ?

You'd need 2 things: The TB and a laminated card.

The TB goes on the planted tree.

The laminated card goes in a nearby (the nearest?) cache. The card simply says:

"Thanks for looking for the Tree of Life TB! Treat this card as a TB!! Do not take it unless you plan to find my nearby TB and plant a tree!! When you get home, check the Tree of Life TB page at GC.com (page url here) and find out where the actual TB is right now; it will be hanging from a recently planted tree! Once you have the TB, plant a tree, leave the TB and put this card into a nearby (nearest?) cache!"

Something like that...

ju66l3r, So with your Idea, it would be like an offset TB I take it? But then what about the person that plants after, they would have to do an offset also.

It seems though that I would have to in some way associate it with a tree.

Which gets me to think, that maybe attach the tb to the tree, and a copy of the tb in a log book that goes in a cache. They take the log book which has last recorded long/lat and retrieves the TB. Then they plant their tree, leaving the TB tere, marking down the new long/lat and leave that in a cache. Along with updating the travel bug webpage with the coordinates they left the TB.

Hmm ok will keep thinking on how to work it and hope more people suggest ideas to work off of.

Yes, with a simpler laminated card, I was suggesting the lat/long of the offset to the Tree and TB would be in their TB log (therefore requiring the person to return to the website after finding the card to read the last log to find out the lat/long of the actual bug). An in-cache logbook with the copy TB tag would also work. The only worry would be someone who lazely didn't want to get the actual TB and therefore just moves the logbook/TB copy to another nearby cache (or even not so nearby) making it much harder for the next person to go get the TB than the previous hider's intentions.

I dunno. I guess it's all in the spirit of TB etiquette to do it right, and you just have to trust and hope it goes well.

I think the idea is great my spin would be to get people to take a pic of the tree they planted, the TB and their gps. (kinda like a locationless) they need all three of those in the pic plus the long/ lat to log it. after that they drop it off in a normal cache so the bug can travel and people all over the country can log there planting.

sounds good to me. let un know how it goes

Maybe you could create an event cache that you "put" the TB in. The "event" would be located at the coordinates for the planted tree with the TB hanging on it, with the event date set to the planting date for record's sake. The person who plants the next tree does the same. In each event, explain the purpose is to get the TB and then plant another tree. You could even make a "Christmas Tree" of TBs for the first one to get MANY tree TBs going at once. Maybe Groundspeak would sponsor that as a special promotion for the environment. Could be good media coverage for GCing. We could mail you unused TB tags as well, as a donation from us to get it going.

Sounds like a great idea! Great thinking! :tongue:

Edited by Team J