Gsak On Pc - What On Palm?

Cachemate - costs $7 but it will be the best $7 you will ever spend.

Have just about added it to my palm - but I don't see what it will do that Plucker does not do with HTML files.

I probably should install it jus to try it out - but if I remember you can't really try it out because it limits the number of caches you can put in?

Will it let me add a note after the hunt to help me remember? I see on some screen shots that it has a spot for Took: Left: and TB: but I don't see any memo type pad.

Yes, on the log page, you can note the date and time found as well as any notes you want to make. Depending on the circumstances, I'll frequently write my log entry right on the spot, then can transfer it when I get home.

What steps to you use when you get home?

Has the log been exported to a memo? How do you locate the caches you found that day in order to get them xfered to gc.com

Normally only do 1 or 2 caches a week - so my brain can handle that - but this summer we will be making a couple of road trips so not only will I be doing more than 1 or 2 - it will be days before I get home and can log them on gc.com so am trying to figure out what I want to do.

Right now I export the plucker page to a memo and delete all but the name then write my log in the memo.

Also use the same procedure for Benchmarks I hunt

Has the log been exported to a memo? How do you locate the caches you found that day in order to get them xfered to gc.com

Normally only do 1 or 2 caches a week - so my brain can handle that - but this summer we will be making a couple of road trips so not only will I be doing more than 1 or 2 - it will be days before I get home and can log them on gc.com so am trying to figure out what I want to do.

Right now I export the plucker page to a memo and delete all but the name then write my log in the memo.

Also use the same procedure for Benchmarks I hunt

Yes, you export the logs to memo, then when you get home and hot-sync, it transfers to your PC. You then cut and paste when you log your finds at GC.

When you find a cache, you put a check in the found box on the log page. It then transfer to your Found folder. I created another one, Found/Logged so that after I log them, they are separate from my newly found caches.

I probably should install it jus to try it out - but if I remember you can't really try it out because it limits the number of caches you can put in?

It limits to 10 caches while unregistered. If all you're doing currently (before the road trips, at least) is 1-2 caches a week, then it seems like a bit of time to try it out even with the limitation. CMConvert (and perhaps GSAK as well) will let you pick and choose records to convert. That's how I use it, myself.

Will it let me add a note after the hunt to help me remember?  I see on some screen shots that it has a spot for Took: Left: and TB: but I don't see any memo type pad.

The Took/Left/TB is just a template filled into a general notes field, which can contain anything. The template is filled in automatically during the file conversion process, or on demand within CacheMate itself, whichever you want.

As far as keeping track of what you've logged and not logged, harleycache's example is a good one. The program supports Palm OS categories, so you can organize records as you see fit. The automatic moving to the Found category that he was talking about is optional, and is now configurable (added that in the last month or so).

I'm a registered Cachemate owner, but lately I've been using Plucker to view the web pages, and Daynotez to take notes on the caches. Daynotez automatically datestamps every entry, and I use it mostly as a journal, but it works very well for caching notes. Thus, I get an exact date and time for every cache, and automatic syncing with the desktop, no need to get memopad involved. Daynotez isn't free, but I already had it, and I'm trying to streamline things by using fewer apps. I'm not certain I've found the ideal method, and may never get there. There are lots of ways to do things, and none of the ways is best for everyone. You can take the notes as a memo, using the date, time, or date/time shortcuts to put the time in, if you want, or use any number of apps to do this. Putting the cache pages on the Palm doesn't have as many options, and Plucker and Cachemate are the best available, IMO. Cachemate is easier, Plucker is prettier and somewhat more versatile. I use Plucker for lots of other things, so I'm using it as an attempt to keep fewer things installed.

I'm a registered Cachemate owner, but lately I've been using Plucker to view the web pages, and Daynotez to take notes on the caches. Daynotez automatically datestamps every entry, and I use it mostly as a journal, but it works very well for caching notes. Thus, I get an exact date and time for every cache, and automatic syncing with the desktop, no need to get memopad involved. Daynotez isn't free, but I already had it, and I'm trying to streamline things by using fewer apps. I'm not certain I've found the ideal method, and may never get there. There are lots of ways to do things, and none of the ways is best for everyone. You can take the notes as a memo, using the date, time, or date/time shortcuts to put the time in, if you want, or use any number of apps to do this. Putting the cache pages on the Palm doesn't have as many options, and Plucker and Cachemate are the best available, IMO. Cachemate is easier, Plucker is prettier and somewhat more versatile. I use Plucker for lots of other things, so I'm using it as an attempt to keep fewer things installed.

Yes, I have been using Plucker for nearly 2 years I think. I love the program.

But I am not good at xfering my finds over to notes so that I will remember stuff. Not too bad on caches - but benchmarks blur in the mind real quickly.

FWIW I'll throw in my 2 cents: I gave Cachemate a trial spin and liked what it did well enough, but I had a preference (perhaps based upon previous experience) for the Plucker formating--especially for the benchmark data sheets.

I think you ought to take a look at Cachemate. I'd be interested to know your conclusions. I'm particularly interested in how the Cachemate html formatting would look with your editing out of the unwanted datasheet lines.

BTW, I either use an outline program (Bonsai) to track finds in the field or sometimes just take a voice memo on my Tungsten|T.

FWIW I'll throw in my 2 cents: I gave Cachemate a trial spin and liked what it did well enough, but I had a preference (perhaps based upon previous experience) for the Plucker formating--especially for the benchmark data sheets.

I think you ought to take a look at Cachemate. I'd be interested to know your conclusions. I'm particularly interested in how the Cachemate html formatting would look with your editing out of the unwanted datasheet lines.

BTW, I either use an outline program (Bonsai) to track finds in the field or sometimes just take a voice memo on my Tungsten|T.

Well, with what little I could tell running cachemate in cripple mode (10 caches) it looked good enough to throw $7 at.

So far I am impressed. I have created a database of all unfound caches within 100 miles (400), a database of all the benchmarks within 10m (300) Then I threw in the caches long the way to portland and benchmarks around the caches (another 400). Then I threw in all the Interstate exits between the way.

Now I can pick a freway exit as a 'center point' and find all the caches and benchmarks nearby.

Now I need to create a cable so I can xfer the waypoints to my real gps so I don't have to pack my T3 with me in the field.

PS. The stripped down benchmark datasheets don't look too bad.

YeOle, if you don't care about how it looks, Cachemate should work for you, because it has a page for notes, does automatic timestamps of finds, and you can edit the pages themselves. If you want to continue to use Plucker, you'll have to use a separate app for the notes. As I said, I use Daynotez, but I'm not sure I would if I didn't already have it registered, because it's probably not worth the money just for taking cache notes. MemoPad works, but you may want something better.

This went right over my head when I first read it but today I looked into it further and discovered the "export to memo" feature in Plucker. It ends up being a quick and easy way to provide a means of recording individual cache hunts on the fly. This is certainly enough for my purposes. Here is an example of what can be displayed in memo without doing a lot of work.

Adventures in the Badlands by GunnQC

N 43° 46.357  W 79° 56.713 (WGS84)

Use waypoint: GC3515     User Data: bt

Size: Regular    Hidden on 1/26/2002

In Ontario, Canada

I did not enter any notes in this example but they would obviously be displayed as well. It would be nice if there was some way of time stamping a memo but manually entering is no big deal.

Cheers, Olar

I did not enter any notes in this example but they would obviously be displayed as well. It would be nice if there was some way of time stamping a memo but manually entering is no big deal.

But you can :tongue:

in Shortcuts on your Palm Preferences add:

For the Shortcut Name put:

gc

For the Shortcut Text put:

@DTS

Took:

Left:

Note:

(It has been noted that the @DTS must be the first thing in the Shortcut Text)

Then after you export to a memo all you have to do is make the shortcut symbol (cursive L) and the letters gc

That will date/time stamp your log, and leave you a template for the rest.

Edited for clarity of what to put in and where

Edited by YeOleImposter

But you can :tongue:

in Shortcuts on your Palm Preferences add:

Name: gc

Contents:

@DTS

Took:

Left:

Note:

Then after you export to a memo all you have to do is make the shortcut symbol (cursive L) and the letters gc

Well hot, dadgum, sam! Isn't that slick. I had to play around with it for awhile but got it to do just what you said. Thanks for the guidance YeOleImposter.

Cheers, Olar

Thanks for the tip Ye Ole. When I enter the shortcut text as you've shown and execute it the characters "@DTS" are written rather than the actual date time stamp. Is there a trick to this I'm not seeing??

I had the same problem PDOPs. I got it to work by putting the @DTS first.

I ended up with:

@DTS

Code/Clue:

Took:

Left:

Notes:

Cheers, Olar

I modified my post above to for clarity - it now makes it more clear:

For the Shortcut Name put:

gc

For the Shortcut Text put:

@DTS

Took:

Left:

Note:

(It has been noted that the @DTS must be the first thing in the Shortcut Text)

This is all very cool stuff! I have a Tungsten T that I've been using for a while now, and waffling between Cachemate and the Spinner/Plucker stuff. Cachemate is a very nice program, with the editable database features and all. I paid my $7 and happy to do it. But mostly I use my Palm for checking previous logs, hints, and directions to the cache. For this Plucker is most adequate. I save my logging until I get home, because, really, is there anyone who sits there by the cache and enters all that stuff with Grafitti just so they can cut/paste it into the log when they connect??? I find it much easier to save the logging for when I'm sitting in front of my machine in cool air conditioning with no maskittaz feasting on me, typing clumsily away rather than trying to remember arcane stylus strokes for command shortcuts. With the Tungsten I can record a short voice memo while walking out to remember the took/left info, and a time stamp is automatically generated for that. Done. With Cachemate I'm always frogetting to set the start/end times, and really that's not important enough to me to go back and edit the database.

To each his/her own!

I have also paid for Cachemate, but almost always find myself using Plucker. I use Daynotez for any notes I need to make, and I get an automatic date and time stamp. It allows templates, so I just make up a template for the notes, and I don't have to use shortcuts. I make brief notes, mainly to record the date and time, and anything else I think I want to remember, and I can also write anything else I need, like new coordinates on a multi, etc. Plucker gives me more and better sorting and search options. I use GSAK instead of Spinner, because it does lots more things - it uploads the waypoints to my GPS, saves a database of my GPS waypoints just in case, generates the html pages for Plucker, and generates the Cachemate file, after opening all my pocket queries directly from the zip files.

There are lots of ways to get everything done, and they all work. It's just a matter of finding what works best for you.

Edited by NightPilot

Hmmmm... now that I look, it's been a while since I checked out GSAK, and now it looks like it may output just about everything I need. Here is my mindset:

I have 3 groups of caches that I want to keep track of; found (anywhere); not found (within a radius of my home location); and events that may be nearby. I have pocket queries set up for each of these, so I get 3 files twice a week. These need to go to several locations, each of which has it's unique requirements:

1) My Garmin eTrex Legend. Duh.

2) Palm Tungsten T. Plucker and CacheMate are both here, and as I mentioned before I'm waffling between them. This is also the destination for some other critical files listed below.

3) DeLorme Street Atlas/Topo on desktop/notebook. Here's some fun! Importing cache locations on a draw layer lets you add them to a route. You can input a geocaching outing ahead of time and let the software plan the trip. OK, it's not foolproof, but darn close. Even if not planning a route, you can see where caches are located, and the road/trail system around them. I use this for in-car navigation with my notebook, and hope to expand it to my Tungsten PDA with DeLorme's export facility and a bluetooth GPS. So far, so good!

Looks like GSAK can do all of these, I'll be testing how it works for my purposes very soon. Hope the filters are easy :P

The comment about finding what works best for you is so true - I encourage all to experiment with the wonderful tools that are out there, and support the ones that help you the most!!!

Marty

CacheMate.

I spent $7 on it, and first fieldtest did I break the glass of our Palm Vx so I couldn't really use it. And this happens 8 days before we are going on a cachetrip/vacation across Sweden. dadgum...

I just called my brother who has Palm (and fixed the one we have), and asked him where I could get the glass fixed. Then it turns out that he gave his wife his old Palm Vx and she doesn't use it anymore. And she will give her Palm Vx to us for a hug. So if we hug her, we get a Palm Vx. Good deal!

Back to the topic again :anitongue:

CacheMate as a said earlier. It works great. You can log your finds in it, you can see travel bugs (even which travel bugs!) there is in the cache, and you can sort all nearby caches from the one you are at right now... and so on...

CacheMate and GSAK together are a really huge hit! We can really recommend it!