Website To Derive Coords From Physical Address?

:D MapsonUs put my house at the intersection of my road and the main drag we're off about .3 miles away. It showed the curve in the street properly, it just pointed to the wrong end of it. That would be too big of a search area for a cache placement. :blink:

Geocode did the exact same thing. :o

edited for geocode line.

Edited by wimseyguy
:D MapsonUs put my house at the intersection of my road and the main drag we're off about .3 miles away. It showed the curve in the street properly, it just pointed to the wrong end of it. That would be too big of a search area for a cache placement. :blink:

Geocode did the exact same thing. :o

edited for geocode line.

Ahh, I didn't realize you needed GPSr accuracy. I'd be surprised if any online software gave you coords that were close enough to cache with. If you find any that work that well be sure to report it back here so we can all be aware of it.

I've only used it to find coords of hotels when I'm planning a business trip out of town and I want to do a search for all local caches ahead of time. :o If the coords are 0.3 of a mile off it'll still list the correct local caches.

Try Mapsonus.  After you put in the address and get a map, there's a pulldown menu to select what happens when you click on the map.  One of the choices is Show Lat/Long. 

I've found it to be pretty accurate.

OK, this is driving me nuts. I am trying to create an event cache page. The address is:

9710 S.E. Washington St.

Portland, OR 97216

Mapsonus gives me a nice pic of exactly where this is supposed to be. But when I plug those exact coord numbers into my event cache page, Mapquest comes up way the heck west and north of the place by several miles. This is supposed to be a city street, and Mapquest says I am ending up a wilderness area.

N 45° 51.846 W 122° 56.138 What da heck?

I've checked and re-checked my typing on the coords. All is well there. What is going on?

(Later...)

OK, this gets wierder. The mapquest map on my event cache is showing the coords for what I had mis-typed to start with before I corrected the coords. Numbers on the top of the cache page just HAVE to be correct, the Mapquest map just ain't getting the new memo that says "hey, pay attention to the new coords here!"

I'll just submit my event cache with a "what is up with the mapquest map?" note to the reviewer and call it good for now.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Has anybody tried different Map Datums on their GPS, to figure out what Map Datum a website is using?

http://www.maptools.com/UsingUTM/mapdatum.html

I realize too that that some websites could have some really messed up data in some areas.

Mapsonus gives me a nice pic of exactly where this is supposed to be. But when I plug those exact coord numbers into my event cache page, Mapquest comes up way the heck west and north of the place by several miles. This is supposed to be a city street, and Mapquest says I am ending up a wilderness area.

This is where Magellans can help quite a bit:

latlon%20c.jpg

This is a Magellan screen showing your primary Position in the upper half, and showing your position using different datums and such, in the lower half. This is a good plus for Magellan units.

Edited by GOT GPS?
Try Mapsonus.  After you put in the address and get a map, there's a pulldown menu to select what happens when you click on the map.  One of the choices is Show Lat/Long. 

I've found it to be pretty accurate.

OK, this is driving me nuts. I am trying to create an event cache page. The address is:

9710 S.E. Washington St.

Portland, OR 97216

N 45° 51.846 W 122° 56.138 What da heck?

I've checked and re-checked my typing on the coords. All is well there. What is going on?

(Later...)

OK, this gets wierder. The mapquest map on my event cache is showing the coords for what I had mis-typed to start with before I corrected the coords. Numbers on the top of the cache page just HAVE to be correct, the Mapquest map just ain't getting the new memo that says "hey, pay attention to the new coords here!"

I'll just submit my event cache with a "what is up with the mapquest map?" note to the reviewer and call it good for now.

The results that are displayed on Mapsonus are formatted as decimal degrees, not Degrees, Decimal Minutes.

The proper translation of your coords would be N45 31.108 W122 33.683

The other thing I do (and suggest for something like this), is that if you know the area, get the closest coordinates possible, and use lostoutdoors.com to get an arial view. Once you get the arial view, click on exactly where you want the coordinates (if you recognize it) and lostoutdoors will give you the decimal degree coordinates in WGS-84 of where you clicked.

Using the address given above, and Geocode.com, I got the following coordinates:

45.518203, -122.562619, which translates to

N 45° 31.092 W 122° 33.757

Here's a link to the lostoutdoors.com arial photo. If the area is recognizable, then click on the map, where the event will be, and you'll get the coordinates in decimal degrees.

You'll need to convert to degrees and decimal minutes before putting it on your cache page.

Edited by Markwell