Magellan New Explorist Series

I just received the new "Le Baron" 2004-2005 Winter supplement <http://www.lebaron.ca/>, and it mentions the Explorist 500 to be released in October of this years (no mention of a 400 model), features include the following:

All of the 300 features, plus:

- High Resolution Color Transflectiver Display

- Rechargable Lithium Ion Battery Pack

- USB Port for quick uploads

- SD Slot, for unlimited expandable memory

- Accepts all MapSend Data Products for loading of additional mad detail

Le Baron mentions the price tag of 549.94$ Canadian

Happy dreaming of the perfect GPS

AV Dezign

So are you kidding?

If not, too bad about the battery.

Wyatt W.

edit: I bet the 400 model is similar to the 500 but it does not have teh ecompass and barometer.

Edited by phantom4099

Now *that's* a bit more what I had in mind!

I agree about the batts, Wyatt.

Edit: I checked out the LeBaron site and the winter supplement isn't up yet. The fall supplement stated that LeBaron is discontinuing the SporTrak line. That may be just them, but it may be that the SporTrak's time in the retail sun is about to expire.

Edited by embra
If you can read french (I can't) it is listed on that side of the site.

Wyatt W.

Edit: here is the french link http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_fallfrench/outdoors/fnew_magel.pdf

Yep, that's what it is, and I agree, the bat pack does scare me personnally, I had a major letdown with Canon camera battery packs that cost a fortune and didn't last very long, that's why my new cam is a Fuji 7000 with normal AA and CF card, everything is standard stuff so it's easy and cheap to get replacements.

Hopefully, it will be a pack that can be replaced with normal AA cells with or without an adapter, like some cameras have nowadays.

While talking about power packs, has anybody seen this Digicom Xtreme Mini Power Pack:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...3&sku=D135-1170

I wonder if this can be adapted to a GPS receiver to boost it's air time?

Well, I would prefer standard AA's for the reasons you cited, but the rechargeable battery pack is not necessarily a deal-breaker for me. If they are not too expensive, I could live with carrying a backup pack on outings, and rely on a power cord in the car for longer drives. And there may be some upside: lithium batts are supposed to last longer and work better than other batts at low temperatures.

I'll watch the 500 with interest to learn more. This is still not perfect (there always seems to be some flaw, doesn't there?) but it may be getting close. BTW, my personal guess for the 400 level would be the same unit in monochrome.

BTW, $550 Canadian works out to around $420 US.