Logging Cache Finds Through Semacode+cellphone

peSHIr

I have a suggestion for the geocaching site: add a simple page that, given a waypoint and login information as parameters, logs a Found entry for that cache with a predefined message (like "Logged from a mobile device, log text will follow...") when the page is opened.

Why you ask? The URL to that page could then be made into a SemaCode that could be printed in the logbook and/or on the container of the cache. This would enable people with a supported camera smartphone to log caches that have GPRS/UMTS/WiFi coverage by just starting the SemaCode client application, pointing the camera at the SemaCode tag and pressing a button.

Just imagine: still in the field, and minutes after actually finding the cache, this fact is on www.geocaching.com already! What do you think?

I proposed the idea to Simon Woodside, the guy behind SemaCode and below is his reply. He likes it. As is mentioned, we could already use SemaCode to point to the regular cache page (new phones that will come out that can use SemaCode, will probably have a relatively large screen and support for full HTML browsing), but the addition of instant logging found be great.

On Jun 7, 2004, at 3:21 AM, PatternGuru wrote:

>> -----Original Message-----

>> From: S. Woodside [mailto:sbwoodside@yahoo.com]

>> Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 9:08 AM

>> To: PatternGuru

>> Subject: Re: SemaCode.org: new possible active use of semacode

>>

>> That would be pretty cool. How do people currently prove they've been

>> there?

>

> Quite simply just because they say so, either in the logbook in the

> cache and/or in the online log on www.geocaching.com (usually both).

> So this would not really be a problem. Even if an automatic "I was

> here" registration seems difficult/too much workj, you can already use

> the URL to the web to point you to the cachepage (maybe I'll do that

> on my own cache already).

> This would of course point small screen mobile browsers to a full HTML

> page which might not be optimal, but still. For the "I was here"

> registration a

> simple (sub)page for each cache should be made by geocaching.com that

> simply logs a "Found" log entry for the current date with a default

> text like "Logged this cache while in the field using SemaCode. Actual

> log text still to follow...".  I did not contact geocaching.com about

> this though.

Well, that sounds pretty easy. You, or geocaching, are free to do it!

Go for it :-)

> As far as I know there is only one geocaching subactivity that has

> some sort of "protection" and those are TravelBugs. They have a normal

> name, chosen by the owner, a standard public name (like "TB????" where

> ???? Are hexdecimal

> digits) and they have a number on the tag attached to them. You can

> only log them as being in your possession and move them to another

> cache (on the

> website) if you enter the ID number on the tag, which is not to be

> found on the website anywhere.

>

>> One thing is that someone could pass around the URL. You can get

>> around that by having pages of "one time codes" that are all

>> semacodes with say a different number as a URL parameter.

>> Or just a page of different numbers that they punch in. Then they

>> cross out the code or the number and it can never be used again. Just

>> one way to make it easier to prove that someone was really there.

>

> Like I said: I don't think this is needed. Since caches are usually

> hidden so that you only find them if you have the GPS coordinates and

> are actively searching for it and because the URL where you can log a

> find is public (you only need a free registration on the site) so

> anyone could log a find on any cache anyway this would be too much

> hassle without any real gain.

OK, sounds like people are more caring about finding them. as opposed to pretending they found them.

simon

>> Also do you think that most geocaches have GPRS coverage?

>

> Mmm, good question. I really wouldn't know. Geocaching is a worldwide

> phenomenon, and since I live in the Netherlands, I can only say

> anything about Holland. There GRPS coverage generally should be about

> 99,9999% (let's just say: the whole country).

>

> Jarno Peschier (peSHIr)

>

>

--

http://simonwoodside.com

That's a cool idea, but I like logging my actual log entries from the cache site while the experience is still fresh (of course, the bad experiences tend to be a bit more bitchy from the field). :)

Still, kind of a neat idea.

--Marky

He obviously would like it, since:

1. It promotes his technology

2. He doesn't have to do anything.

I took a look at the semacode.org web site, and I remember the CueCat fiasco that helped make this technology. The idea is interesting but it really comes down to time/benefit ratio. Is it worth the effort to create logging URLs to support a small number of geocachers who 1] have a camera phone and 2] have the software that can support a point & shoot url style technology?

The answer is unfortunately a limited few. So, although an interesting idea, it's more likely that we'd work on an RSS feed more than functionality to support semacode.

I'd be happy with just a simple logging page that I could access from my cellphone browser:

name & password

cache id

date

found/notfound/note pulldown choice

text-only log

No travel bugs, no pictures, just a log. Other stuff can be added when you get home.

All you'd have to add would be one webpage, eh? ;)

Edited by martinp13
Care to share that code so I can put it on my own server?

If it were my code I probably would but it isn't so I can't :unsure: .

I've never actually used this site myself - just discovered it once and bookmarked it.

I see your point about the password though - especially if it's the same as your ATM PIN number :blink:

I'll eventually have a web service to provide developers building desktop applications. This will also be accessible via a url link. I can't give specific timeframes, but a dev web site will be available that will start this process.

Glad I'm not the only paranoid one out there :unsure:  The password thing jumped out at me too.

Shame how the world has tended to turn people into paranoid over-shoulder-lookers :lol: I suppose that there are enough idiots out there making it so...

I think that the developers of this site are probably geocachers themselves probably in the Ottawa, Ontario, Canada region from the areacode of the phone number on their web site (613). If you're interested I guess a dialogue with them might elicit suitable comfort feelings or, who knows, even source code :lol:

Going to http://rtr.ca would probably be a good start

Glad I'm not the only paranoid one out there :huh:  The password thing jumped out at me too.

I tried to log in with my GC userid and password. Got a "Login Failed" message.

I tried to log in again and it works. Helps when I use the correct password! :huh:

This looks like a great site to use with my wifi PDA.

Thanks for the link.

Check out this page

That's exactly what I want. Care to share that code so I can put it on my own server? Since it isn't running on GC.com, I'd rather not give out my password.

Thanks

Unfortunately, my thoughts exactly. I have no reason to think anything would be amiss, but these days you can't take the chance. :huh:

Check out this page

That's exactly what I want. Care to share that code so I can put it on my own server? Since it isn't running on GC.com, I'd rather not give out my password.

Thanks

Unfortunately, my thoughts exactly. I have no reason to think anything would be amiss, but these days you can't take the chance. :huh:

I had code to do this for quite a while now, but wasn't willing to make it a public service for precisely this reason. Nowadays, I just log directly from the site using boulter's Geocaching Quick Search page to take me directly to the log a find page for a cache. I keep images turned off on my phone's browser and the log a find page works beautifully with only a few minor problems (such as not being able to enter a waypoint since the checkbox requires javascript). There are a ton of phones out there that have browsers that are plenty powerful enough to just use the standard site as it is. :huh:

--Marky

Hi all.

The http://rtr.ca/geo site is my own. I developed it originally so that I could look up travel bug tags from the cache site, so that I could make informed decisions about whether or not to pick up the TBs.

Since then, it has grown some, and currently does everything I need it to do. It works on nearly all WAP enabled mobiles, and is in regular use around the world, 24 hours a day.

YES, I could see your password if I wanted to. NO, I don't want to. The site neither needs nor bothers to "remember" passwords after it has completed the required login cookie exchanges with GC.com.

And I don't really want tons of traffic there anyway, or for the site to in any way annoy or take something away from the keepers of GC.com -- which is why the source code is being kept under lock and key for now.

Someday Jeremy and company may have a similar low-bandwidth service that works as well on 2-line cellphone displays as it does on bigscreen tungstens. Meanwhile, my site is filling a small gap in service, and hopefully won't be needed in the long run.

Several people have attempted to use it as a bulk-download service similar to "pocket queries", but the site includes algorithms to detect and discourage such. It is really just meant for the odd lookup while out caching in the field -- for folks like me who travel far and wide on biz, and decide to stop for a cache or three after hours.

One feature it has that is not widely deployed is a "remember me" hack for selected users -- currently just me -- which recognizes my handset and handles GC.com autologin when needed. I'd like to offer this to others, but that's a non-starter really, since it requires deliberately keeping userid/passwd pairs around -- definitely a no-no!

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mlord

Oh.. forgot to point out the obvious:

Your GC.com userid/passwd are only needed to (1) log a cache, or (2) "filter-finds" on searches. The regular search & view functions are userid agnostic.

Cheers

Mark