Hp Ipaq 6300

this is a review I found on http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread....&threadid=30713

<quote>

Review of HP iPAQ h6310

I have spent an hour with a pre-production version of the HP iPAQ h6310 PDAphone and I must say, I'm in love. Of course, I'm a geek at heart. We will have to see how long the love lasts...

First, as has been discussed elsewhere, the h6310 is built around the Texas Instruments OMAP1510 processor running at 200MHz. Performance was acceptable if not good. The h6310 has 64MB RAM and 64MB ROM with a ROM date in the tested unit of 2/13/2004. It was running Windows Mobile Phone Edition 2003 (OS Version 4.20.0 Build 13349.)

Second, connectivity is provided through quad-band GSM/GPRS using T-Mobile service, WLAN 802.11b, and Bluetooth. According to HP, the device will be upgradeable to EDGE when the network is delivered and that is part of the roadmap for their PDAphone products.

The size of the unit is acceptable for a PDAphone - it was about 2/3 of an inch shorter than my Samsung SPH-i700, about the same width (see the photos) and about 3/4 of an inch thick. It fit in the hand pretty well.

The screen was very similar to most of the newer iPAQ h4xxx and h5xxx screens - a 320 x 240 65K color TFT that appeared clear and readable. Battery life is rated at 2-3 hours for talk time and 200 hours of standby time. (I didn't get to abuse it long enough to really see a drop in battery life...)

Now for some of the surprises... in the kit to be sold, will be the h6310, the cradle which can recharge both the phone and an additional battery and synch to a desktop or laptop using ActiveSync, a headset, belt clip, a case, and a snap-on thumbboard. It seems obvious that HP is positioning this device to compete with Blackberries with this move. The retail price of the h6310 with the standard accessories is expected to be $499. There will be two versions sold - one with a VGA camera and one without. The unit I saw did not have a camera so I can't comment on the quality of the images.

Some of the software that I saw on the device was new. The new and improved HP Wireless Connection Manager enabled the user to turn on and off the phone radio, the 802.11b WLAN radio, and Bluetooth. Interestingly, it seemed that the device would only allow two of the three connections to be active at any time (Phone and WLAN, WLAN and Bluetooth, etc.) There were also some other bundled apps used for security and for enhancing the user's storage of files. It had the same applications as most iPAQs today including the HP Backup (from Sprite.)

Unfortunately, I didn't get to do much with it in the short time it was available to me. I did connect to the internet through T-Mobile and surf the web using the Pocket IE browser. I checked the speed of the connection using the McAfee Internet Connection Speedometer and found that I had an average connection speed of about 43Kb/sec. I also wandered around our Data Center and found that it maintained a connection to the T-Mobile signal ranging from 2-4 bars on the signal meter, which was surprising to me.

I asked about Bluetooth profiles, and I was told that the h6310 includes headset profiles for the Plantronics and Jabra bluetooth headsets amongst others, and also includes a profile for the HP Bluetooth GPS receiver that is now available. Way cool!!

All in all, I was very impressed by the h6310. I have been promised a pre-production unit in the next week (once I can get a SIM from T-Mobile) and can hopefully really use the h6310 to its fullest extent. It's nice to know I will have a second date.

It will be available from HP on July 27th and is expected to be shipping by mid-August.

<unquote>

photo also on above link

could be my next toy :back: