Pocket Query Question

2Wheel'in

Hi,

Although I've been a member for a while, I've only been a premium member since April. I have really enjoyed using pocket queries for the .gpx functionality, and also for paperless PDA caching. I thought that downloads would be/should be sorted by distance from point of origin (cache ID, postal code, or coordinates); however, my downloads are not. It isn't too bothersome with waypoints (I can sort them from an anchor point using EasyGPS or other software, but it is a bother when cache distances are random on the PDA. I'm using the current version of Mobipocket on a Handspring Platinum Visor. An explanation of the sort by distance feature, or suggestion on how to correct what I may be doing incorrectly would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bill

I agree about MobiPocket. That is some of the worst software I've seen, and sorting/searching is one of its weakest features. Get Plucker and GSAK, both freeware, and use GSAK to generate the html files for Plucker. You can specify as many places as you like to use for sorting from by distance. Then use Plucker to generate cache pages for your Visor. Alternatively, you can have GSAK generate a Cachemate file. Cachemate isn't free, but it is pretty cheap. I like Plucker, because it does lots more than make cache pages. It will download and convert any web page for reading on your PDA, or convert any text or html file for viewing. Along with PDAConverter, I use it for reading pdf files on my Palm, after converting the pdf to html. The Adobe Acrobat reader for Palm is about a poor as the Mobi reader. If you like, you can have both Cachemate and Plucker cache pages, as I do. The benefit of Cachemate is that you can edit the cache pages on your PDA; Plucker files are read-only. This can also be a drawback if you aren't careful, because you can make changes you didn't mean to make, or that you forgot you made. With both, it's not a catastrophe.

I'm also experiencing this sorting error. I've always (over a year) received a download of my unfound caches, sorted by distance from home. Recently the sort order has been been scrambled and I can't seem to get them sorted properly. I have various other downloads for other geographic areas that still sort properly (crossing fingers). I've tried a second sorted download with the same info (less caches though) and it has a different sort order than the primary download.