Rechargable Batteries For Gps V

paraAdams

I've used my Garmin V for nearly two years now, and I've been *very* happy with the battery life... only replacing batteries after every 25 caches or so. I'm curious how many hours of operation you're getting from a set of batteries. It should be at least 20 hours.

Some tips for conserving battery life:

1. Don't use WAAS unless you need it to improve accuracy. More than 90% of my cache finds have been unassisted by WAAS.

2. Don't use the backlight unless you need it to see the screen in the dark. Adjust the settings so that the backlight turns itself off automatically after 20 or 30 seconds of inactivity.

3. Unless you're a person who likes to save routes, examine tracklogs, etc., if you have found a simple cache that's 30 feet from a marked trail, and you can backtrack right back to your car, turn the GPS off once you've found the cache, and just enjoy the hike back out. If you do get confused at a trail intersection, etc., turn the GPS back on and check the waypoint for your car to get re-oriented. (You *did* waypoint the car, right?)

4. If all you're doing for a 20 minute period is examining data on your GPS, like scrolling around on a map, looking through a list of waypoints, or playing one of the games that are installed, switch to "Use Indoors" mode so that the batteries aren't being drained while the unit keeps in touch with the satellites that you don't need right then.

5. Use the DC power adaptor whenever you are using the Garmin V in your car.

If you are doing all of the above things, and still having poor battery life, then sure, buy some rechargeables. There are lots of forum topics about which ones are the best - do a search on "rechargeable".

I would suggest you go buy some NiMH rechargables. They are very common now and you can get them at just about any store that sells batteries. The higher the mAh rating, the longer use you'll get out of each charge. 1800mAh is pretty typical to find at most retailers, but you can find 2100+ online.

I would highly recommend these guys. I purchased a AA charger and a bunch of PowerEX 2000mAH batteries a year ago. I wouldn't go out and buy the 2300mAH batteries because you always will pay a premium for the high end battery. I don't worry about my GPS and batteries any longer. I turn it on and let run on the way to the cache and I leave it on all the time -- which above almost anything else will give you better GPSr performance. Once the batteries show any sign of running down I just swap them -- there's always a fresh set or two in my backpack.

GO$Rs

I use Energizer rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. I have six of them. Two for my digital camera, two for my eTrex Legend, and two extras. I switch them out of the devices when they get low and put them into the recharger immediately. They're pretty inexpensive, so I'll probably buy a few more one of these days.

I use rechargables in my V and they work fine. There's even a setting for the battery type in the setup, so you know it is officially supported.

I always keep a spare set. I have lower capacity rechargeables (around 1800 I think) so they don't last as long as the 2300s but buying 2 sets of rechargeables has already been a pretty significant cost savings.

I'll likely be buying some 2300/2400 batts soon too. I also use rechargables in my digital camera I carry.