Greece 1 Euro Coins

GentleWhisper

Hi everyone,

I'd like to find some Greek 1 Euro coins to leave in caches. [i live in Missouri, USA] I've found some uncirculated ones available on Ebay... but I don't want to pay extra for rare ones. Used coins would work just fine for me.

Are there any cachers in Europe that could collect some for me? Or better yet, someone in the USA who is travelling this summer and can bring some back? [i'd like to cut down the shipping charges.]

Thanks for your help!

greece1euro.jpg

edited to add photo

Edited by GentleWhisper

I don't collect Euro coins (well, I collect money in general, but it seems to go faster than it comes :tongue: ), so I seldom pay attention from which country the coins in my pocket come from. I know, though, that Greek Euro coins at this corner of Europe are quite rare, since the most coins circulating here are also smashed in Finland.

However, I browsed through the coins in my pocket and voilá, I actually have one Greek Euro coin! I can send it to you if you want, although unfortunately I have only one, so I'm not much of a help. :blink:

I don't collect Euro coins (well, I collect money in general, but it seems to go faster than it comes :lol: ), so I seldom pay attention from which country the coins in my pocket come from. I know, though, that Greek Euro coins at this corner of Europe are quite rare, since the most coins circulating here are also smashed in Finland.

However, I browsed through the coins in my pocket and voilá, I actually have one Greek Euro coin! I can send it to you if you want, although unfortunately I have only one, so I'm not much of a help. :lol:

Divine, if you want to make friends on any trip you make to the rest of the Euro zone, take some Finnish Euro coins with you. They are very, very rare outside of SF. My daughter has a collector card for 12x8 coins and she has all but 20. She has 4 of the 8 Greek coins, for example, but absolutely no Finnish ones.

Someone told me that in Finland, you kept the old "rounding off to 0.05" habit from the FMK, and so there are very few 1c and 2c coins in circulation. So those are even rarer. A numismatic shop anywhere in Southern Europe (that's anywhere South of where you are !) would probably give you a good price for a roll of each of those !

Yup, we have the weird rounding-off to 5 c thingy still here. :lol: But I happen to have the original Finnish Eurocoin Starter Pack - unopened. Waiting the price going up. :lol: I read somewhere that someone's been paying 80-100 € for that one. Never seen Finnish 1 c or 2 c coins anywhere else, though there should be some in circulation.

Btw, do you want me to send you (or, actually to your daughter) some Finnish Eurocoins? I can collect a set of each value (6) as long as I don't need to watch the years when they're smashed. (I think I can find most of them in my pocket right now.) Or is your daughter's idea to retrieve them from 'normal' circulation?

Hehe, I can soon test your hypothesis of getting friends by spreading Finnish Euro coins elsewhere in Europe: I'm leaving for a Germany-Switzerland-Italy-Austria vacation in few weeks. :lol:

Btw, do you want me to send you (or, actually to your daughter) some Finnish Eurocoins? I can collect a set of each value (6) as long as I don't need to watch the years when they're smashed. (I think I can find most of them in my pocket right now.) Or is your daughter's idea to retrieve them from 'normal' circulation?

That would be fantastic, especially if you could get a 1c and a 2c from the bank (!), but you must let you send you some from this part of the world in return (even if you don't collect them, someone you know does),

Better still, drop in on this part of the world on your tour, I'm 30 minutes from Germanland (© GWBush) and 75 from Switzerville.

Let me know by e-mail

Nick

PS: Best band to come out of Finland in, er, forever, not The Rasmus, but Lodger.