Etiquette (sp?) Question

Fitzette

ok, I am brand new, and I have what is conceivebly a very stupid question. When I am leaving new items in a cache, what is the correct protocol for the packaging the items come in? I mean, if the item I mean to leave in the cache is new, and in packaging, do I leave it there, or do I remove it from the packaging so as not to take up more space in the cache?

I would imagine it can depend on the particular cache, and how much room there is, but I didn't want to start off by doing anything too stupid.

TIA!

When I find a cache I always like to see new items in packaging rather than used items that are unpackaged. Use common sense, if the packaging takes up a lot of space and there is little room left in the cache then remove the packaging.

Also consider how the item will survive a little moisture. Even though caches are supposed to be water tight many aren’t. I will often put items in zip lock bags to help keep them dry and clean.

I try and keep the item in the package, but cut the clamshell packaging down, if it's going to take up too much room. I have also become very careful about what I buy and even if it's on sale and a good price, if I think it will be too large for a cache, usually will pass. I try not to repackage, because I want people to know it is new.

I prefer to leave it in the packaging. But some of the packaging just has to go. The new Highway 35 hotwheels are fine if you limit yourself to the dome shaped container, but the complete set of packaging is just insane.

I won't leave a McToy (or a McPedometer) unless it's still in the original wrapper.

I've taken multi-tools out of the packaging in order to make sure they're bladeless. I also have a nice folding tool kit (under $5 for a lot of tools) that I'll take out of the wrapper simply because it's a lot smaller folded up and easier to carry.

This came from a cache owner of a cache that I logged a while back and really never knew how to take it. The item that I took was from a "dollar store" and I know this because it still had the tag on. I felt that the item I traded was fair. Any thoughts?

The email read as follows:

"I am sending you this note just for your information. I realize you are relatively new to geocaching so please don't take this negatively. When I started, I did not really understand this until later. One of the unwritten codes of trading is to exchange things of equal value. Granted it is not written in stone and some cachers really don't care but many do. Thus a _________ is essentially of very little value and not really worthy as trade material.

A simply way around this is to just log your visit. I used to write TNLNSL = took nothing, left nothing, signed log. But really who really cares. Or T:Ball L:Bird SL.

As a cache owner I am interested in the condition of the cache and any problem associated with getting to it. See you on the trail. "

so I am curious, what is a ______ ? Tell me so I don't leave a ____ and embarrass myself. Just kidding, if you thought it was fair it should have been good enough. And his note was strange. I am curious too, if the finders found the cache too hard, too easy, needs better directions but to pick on a newbie?