Deadbeat Cachers

How should I handle a situation where a geocacher retrieves a TB, but never logs it. They signed the log book at the cache, but after several months, have not logged the find online. Consequently, the cache page still indicates that this bug is in this cache. How can I, as the cache ownwer, remove the bug listing from the cache page? I posted a note on the cache's homepage stating that the bug listed has been retrieved and is no longer at this cache. Thanks

How should I handle a situation where a geocacher retrieves a TB, but never logs it. They signed the log book at the cache, but after several months, have not logged the find online. Consequently, the cache page still indicates that this bug is in this cache. How can I, as the cache ownwer, remove the bug listing from the cache page? I posted a note on the cache's homepage stating that the bug listed has been retrieved and is no longer at this cache. Thanks

Has the cacher ever logged a hide or find on the website? You can search the user name HERE and them send them an email.

I had an identical situation for one of my caches. :lol:

After trying to contact the "deadbeat" (by e-mailing a registered user with a similar name) and getting no response, I e-mailed the TB owner.

He eventually agreed to have me move it to a TB graveyard. (Which I could do since I knew the TB number).

Better would have been for the owner to select the option (that I think owners have) to report it "lost".

Jeremy promises an option for cache owners to declare TBs in their caches lost, but it's not here yet.

(The worst part about this phantom TB is that it appears to other cachers that there is a TB to be found.)

I see no reason for them to log the find online if they don't want to, but if they aren't going to log the retrieval of the TB, they shouldn't take it. When the TB is dropped into the next cache, at least a "note" is required to assign the TB to the cache. The note could then be immediately deleted.

Funny I guess we could attach log books to TB's and eleminate the online portion of a TB saving the parisites the embarrasment of not getting the concept of a TB at all.

While logging a cache can be log boog or online, the only one I know I'll get is the online log. The other one is subject to being stolen and then only cache maggots get anything out of the log.

I see no reason for them to log the find online , if they don't want to

What? I thought the whole idea was to keep track of the bug's travels through the bug's homepage? What's the point of taking it if you're not going to log it or move it along?

Yes, that's right ... through the TRAVEL BUG's page ... not the cache page. For example, if you check my profile, it is apparent that I haven't found a single cache, yet I have moved along quite a few travel bugs. Their home pages detail their movements, and the cache pages I retrieved them from/left them at have no entries.

Edited by Bassoon Pilot
Funny I guess we could attach log books to TB's and eleminate the online portion of a TB saving the parisites the embarrasment of not getting the concept of a TB at all.

While logging a cache can be log boog or online, the only one I know I'll get is the online log. The other one is subject to being stolen and then only cache maggots get anything out of the log.

What?

Yes, that's right ... through the TRAVEL BUG's page ... not the cache page.

Exactly, the people I'm refering to (Truckee Rockers) haven't logged thier find in either the Bug's Log or the Cache Log(except for the log book in the cache). A search for this name returns nothing. This particular case really irritates me because it was a class project for an elementary school and they wanted to have it mailed back before school ends for the summer. It was a large envelope into which many kind geocachers had contributed postcards, notes, money, newspaper clippings, etc. I sure hope it finds it's way back to them. I'd also like to get the bug removed from my cache page.