Benchmark In Ny

MREAGLEWO1

WHEN I WENT TO NY FOR A MOTORCYCLE SHOW, I SAW THIS BENCHMARK IMPLANTED IN THE SIDEWALK CORNER WHEN WALKING TO IT. WHEN I GOT THE NUMBERS FROM THE BENCHMARK, IT DIDNT WORK. I HAVE LOST THE BENCH MARK, I WAS WONDERING HOW COULD I GET THE NUMBERS AGAIN, IT WAS BY A GAS STATION, YOU COULD SEE THE JAVITS CENTER PROBABLY ABOUT 1 OR 2 BLOCKS AWAY, IT WAS VISIBLE, ( I WAS GOING THERE)

WHEN I WENT TO NY FOR A MOTORCYCLE SHOW, I SAW THIS BENCHMARK IMPLANTED IN THE SIDEWALK CORNER WHEN WALKING TO IT. WHEN I GOT THE NUMBERS FROM THE BENCHMARK, IT DIDNT WORK. I HAVE LOST THE BENCH MARK, I WAS WONDERING HOW COULD I GET THE NUMBERS AGAIN, IT WAS BY A GAS STATION, YOU COULD SEE THE JAVITS CENTER PROBABLY ABOUT 1 OR 2 BLOCKS AWAY, IT WAS VISIBLE, ( I WAS GOING THERE)

You didn't give us much to work on. Address for the Center is where I started.

These are all near 655 W 34th, NY, NY 10001. Take your choice.

KV0605 0mi NW Q 338 NY bench mark disk

KV3536 0mi NW Q 338 RESET 1982 NY bench mark disk

KV4130 0.2mi SW STARRETT 1932 NY triangulation station disk

KU1443 0.4mi SE N 339 NY bench mark disk

KV0606 0.4mi NE 56 NYPA NY chiseled square

KU0866 0.5mi NE U 44 NY bench mark disk

KU0867 0.5mi NE 1155 NY chiseled square

KV0607 0.5mi NE 103 NYPA NY bolt

KU1445 0.5mi E M 339 NY bench mark disk

KU1444 0.5mi SE MH 21 NY chiseled square

KV0604 0.6mi SW T 44 NY bench mark disk

As an Eagle Scout, earn a merit badge by doing the research. :(

As a footnote reply, this could be a new subject.

Did a radial search on NGS.NOAA using coordinates N404522, W0740008 and came up with more PIDs than given above. However, when I did a search of geocache database, they were not there! Examples: KV3310, KV3311, KV3312.

Anyone want to try to explain?

Maybe it has something to do with the three examples are considered destroyed??? :(

Edited by Colorado Papa
As a footnote reply, this could be a new subject.

Did a radial search on NGS.NOAA using coordinates N404522, W0740008 and came up with more PIDs than given above. However, when I did a search of geocache database, they were not there! Examples: KV3310, KV3311, KV3312.

Anyone want to try to explain?

Maybe it has something to do with the three examples are considered destroyed??? :(

Yes, the GC database does not include anything that is offically recorded as destroyed by the NGS.

If this helps ...

It's not KV1445 which is in front of a post office and several feet above the sidewalk,

And it's not KV1444 which is not near a gas station but which I could not find yesterday and from which the Javits Center is not visible,

And it's not KV3536 which is near a gas station (in the concrete base of a sign) but which I could not find yesterday.

Did a radial search on the Javits Center N40-45.500 W074-00.100 and looked for sidewalk mounted disks between 30th St and 42nd St and 9th Ave and the Hudson River (Javits Center is between 34th and 39th and 11th and 12th). Did not see any good candidates in the Geocaching database. Best candidate is KV3536 at 11th and 30th. But I could not find that mark when I searched on 05/10/04.