Garmin 60c Or Cs -vs- Any Of The Garmin E-trex

First off... I am sorry if this has been covered in earlier posts, but I could not find it... :P

We are getting ready to buy new gps. We currently have a Garmin e-trex Legend and have not been happy with it since caching with friends that have Magellen Platinum. On the caches that we have been on with them with moderate to heavy canopy cover, we lose all satellite reception with our Garmin, while our friends keep 8+ satellites and lead us to the cache.

2 questions - first, is the 60c or 60cs better at keeping a lock on satellites than the e-trex series? Second, does the Magellen Platinum still do a better lock on satellites than the 60c or 60cs.

I am not trying to slam one brand or another, this has only been my experience.

Thanks in advance :P

The 60c and 60cs will behave much better under moderate cover. However, they are still very expensive, and I have heard bad things about the compass in the 60cs. I also hate the interface, but that's just me.

I found a place online selling the Sportrak Color for $219. That's almost half the price of a 60c. Unless you already have a big investment in Garmin software, that's the route I would take.

We bought a 60C a couple of weeks ago and it is much better than the Legend we have. It keeps a lock except under the thickest of canopies. The accuracy is fantastic too, it just doesn't jump around as much. I bought it off of EBAY brand new for 350 +6.00 shipping.

I'd go for a 60C or CS over the SporTrak color. The screen is SO MUCH NICER (and yes I have both, along with a Legend). And there's no "boomerang" with the 60-series. :wink:

FWIW, I like(d) the SporTrak just like the 60 [much] better. :P

I have been doing a lot of research on the 60c / cs, I am upgrading from a legend to the new machine (which is on backorder at getfeetwet.com). I was only really able to find a few people who had any real complaints with the machine. And in looking at the manual and different reviews that I found online I am excited to get it and test it out.

Thanks,

kgag.

Also on a technical note, all eTrex units use an internal patch antenna while the newer Magellans use a quadrifiliar (sp?) antenna which has proven to have superior sensitivity. The trade off is that you get a smaller package with the Garmin. The Garmin 60c has the newer quad antenna, but it is pricey. I might suggest a Magellan Meridian Gold which you could later upgrade with auto-routing capabilities similar to the 60c. I picked the more expensive 60c because I could not get over that beautiful bright color screen (plus I'm mounting in my vehicle and the larger screen is easier to read).

60c vs 60cs? IMHO, a person should have a good compass and altimeter (if traveling in high country) anyway. If I'm route-finding (hiking not driving) in the mountains, map and compass are my PRIMARY tools. The GPS is my backup. So these features (included on the 60cs) are, to me, not worth the additional cost.

Edited by Tesoro Perdido

I used a MeriColor for over a year and about a month ago switched to a 60cs. I had the opportunity to have one in each hand for a few caches. I believe that it's a very similar quad helix in each, since they both held an almost identical signal under heavy cover. I've also done caches alongside Legends (patch antenna) that couldn't keep the signal either of my units could.

So far I'm very happy with my new unit, have found no real faults with it, and love the geocaching features. I was on a learning curve for awhile, having used the Meridian for so long, but that quickly passed.