Is This A Benchmark?

GirlSparky

No, I'm sorry. But you have found the lid to an underground water service valve. The five-sided nut in the center can be unscrewed about four turns and the lid will lift off for access to the valve, probably, depending your area of the country, 3 to 4 feet deep. You use a special valve wrench to operate the valve, I would not recommend doing that, because sometimes they are difficult to turn and will break, and I am sure the homeowner wouldn’t be pleased. Don’t give up though, Better luck next time! :D

3d12df0e-3d43-4dcf-a0df-fddbc5e7a17e.jpg

Edited by Oneyedjack

Interesting. I've been looking for AH3686 in Middlebury, Vermont. Exactly where the description puts the benchmark (said to be a survey disk) I found a similar water cap. Now, the becnhmark was monumented in 1997, so it's unlikely that it's been destroyed and replaced with a town-water pipe. Obviously I need to look around some more, but I found it very surprising when I pulled away the grass and saw that cap instead.

And I have found cases where an existing ... plaque/pipe/thingymabob... is used as the benchmark, but that's written into the description, and that's why I made a point to check Marker Type.

That's why we're Hunters not just Documentors, I guess.