What is bearing vs. heading?

robotman

quote:
Originally posted by The Delta-S Family:

HEADING is the direction that you're heading at the time... your direction of travel relative to either true or magnetic north.

BEARING is the direction that you would travel a straight line to your intended waypoint.

The Bigg Family "Delta-S"

Or to say exactly the same thing as The DS Family...

Heading is which way you are heading.

Bearing is which way you figure out you should be heading before you are heading anywhere.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Meriplat users also have COG (Course over Ground).

For the Platinum BEARING is the direction to the cache, COG is the direction you are moving, and HEADING is the direction you have the GPS pointed in (as calculated by the electronic compass).

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Thanks for all the definitions and explanations. They all make sense. It's a little confusing to keep everything straight, but I get the concepts.

I have a SporTrak Pro which I think has the electronic compass because I thought I saw a COG option. I didn't think it mattered which direction I held the GPS as long as I moved every now and then, but it sounds like the GPS even knows which way you are holding it! Wow. I'll have to check the manual.

Thanks again!

The Robot Family

The SporTrak Pro doesn't have the electronic compass so it can't give your heading which is the way the unit is pointing. The direction you are moving in is your track. These terms are used loosely by different manufacturers and mean different things to them. The units without electronic compasses can give your course over ground which is often used to mean the same thing as heading and may in fact be displayed as heading on some units. As you see, it can get a little confusing. The SporTrak Pro does have this so called "Northfinder Technology" which just shows where the sun and moon are and so if you orient your unit (if it's not overcast) properly, you can determine your heading (direction the unit is pointed).

I'll have to check the manual about the "northfinder technology"... I know it shows the sun, moon, and waypoint positions around the compass. I was wondering what's the point of showing the sun and moon since you obviously could just see them in the sky (if it's not overcast). Makes more sense that you're supposed to use them as a reference to find North.

The Robot Family