Relocating A Cache...

SnoWake

Gang:

I recently discovered a programmed limit within the geocaching.com site which limits the maximum distance a cache may relocate (and still be self-serviced by the hider). I discovered this the hard way when posting a new cache, and selecting the wrong set of coordinates (from several potential waypoints I set in researching/selecting the hide). So I'm working with an admin to get that one corrected, but...

I would like to know what that actual limit is - and here's why. I've got another cache that seems that have fallen prey to frequent visits from muggles - who draw crude, offensive things in the log, leave inappropriate items in the cache container, took the disposable camera, and perhaps have even made off with a TB or two. :D

So, I'm planning on relocating the cache, but within the same park. If I knew, for example, that the maximum relocation allowed by the hider was .1 mile, I would focus my efforts on finding a new secure hiding spot within 500'. If, conversely, it's .25 miles - I have a much wider scope of potential hiding spots.

About all I know is that the limit is somethig greater than a few feet (as I've made minor, .001 type changes to previous hides) but less that 1.3 miles (the HUGE distance between the incorrect coordinates I entered and the actual placement of my new cache).

Knowing this threshold might prove valuable for a variety of reasons - so I'm just wondering if someone can clue me in? My apologies if this is already documented or discussed somewhere - but I looked over the hiding guidelines, the FAQ, and even did a handful of searches here in the forums, and couldn't come up with the specifics (or even a discussion of the issue).

Thanks in advance for any insight or answers.

Have a great evening!

Billy

(aka SnoWake)

I don't know what the limit is, but I would just contact the admin who approved the cache in the first place.

I would:

1) Temporarily disable the cache.

2) Find a new location in the park. Making sure that it is not within .1 mile of any other cache.

3) E-mail the admin who originally approved the cache explaining why you need to move it and giving them the new coordinates.

4) Wait for a response. After it is approved, I'm thinking the admin might just change the coords on the page for you, put the cache the new location and un-disable it.

Also remember, sometimes it's better to just archive the cache and submit a new cache in the new location. If you're moving the cache far enough that it significantly changes "the hunt" or the experience, perhaps that would be a better idea than just changing the coords on an exisiting cache.

These are both correct responses, and actually describe the process I've taken (working with an admin in the one case where it's required). I also considered the "simply delete the cache, and create a new one" in order to self-service this request. However, that (over the long haul) introduces OTHER problems - so I'm hoping that someone "in the know" still understands the value of sharing this information. In the case of the cache that has been found by muggles - I don't want to move it far, or significantly "change the hunt or experience" - just far enough so that it's not readily discovered from the previous location, but close enough that I can "do it myself" (e.g. change the coordinates on the cache page). There are no other caches in this particular park, and it's large enough that I could probably move it as much as .25 miles without significantly changing the "experience".

Anyway - I understand some of my alternatives, and as I've mentioned, I AM working through them. I still think it's useful information for the community at large to be aware of.

Thanks for the responses, and thanks in advance for an answer...

Billy

Final Word:

My problems were resolved by Hemlock (thank you, THANK YOU!), as well as my specific question answered. For the record:

The maximum distance a hider may relocate a cache without admin intervention is .1 mile (528 feet).

End of story! Thanks to all...