New Mexico State Parks

I met with some rangers on Monday to discuss Geocaching in the state parks. Bob Dye is the park manager at Sugarite Canyon State Park and Sarah Wood is an interpretive ranger at 8 of the parks in the northeastern area of the state. They were both interested in bringing geocaching to the parks. They enjoy having visitors who appreciate the outdoors. They were also kind enough to give me a tour of the park, including the campground we'll be using for Sax Man's Campout.

I was able to show them a couple of containers (an ammo can and a Tupperware tube). I explained how ammo cans are more critter-resistant and they agreed. I gave them one of CyBret's geocaching pamphlets so they could read more about geocaching. I explained the basic rules of the game to them such as ammo, drugs, and other "adult" items should not be placed in caches. This is supposed to be a family-friendly activity.

Based on Monday's meeting, we now have an informal policy with Sugarite Canyon State Park (near Raton, NM). They will allow geocaching in the park, but would like geocachers to ask for permission before placing one. That way they can check up on it from time to time and be sure the area remains in good shape.

I also explained how placing a cache further from a trail would mean that 2 cachers are not likely to take the exact same path to a cache so no "social trail" would develop. If one does, the cache can always be relocated to a better location. They do allow visitors to go "off trail", using common sense to not destroy the landscape.

There are entrance fees associated with the 31 New Mexico State Parks. The day-use fee is $4.00 per vehicle. An annual pass is only $20.00 for the first vehicle and $10.00 for the second.

I have a few questions

1) How did you find out who to contact?

2) Other than reading the forums and printing out CyBret's geocaching pamphlet what did you do to prepare for your meeting?

3) What are the odds this will become "formal" policy.

4) Are you planning to try for a statewide policy?

I have a few questions

1) How did you find out who to contact?

Back in January, I began planning a summer campout event. I looked at webpages for parks in the NE corner of New Mexico (and adjacent states). I decided to visit Sugarite Park first, since it was the most convenient for cachers coming from Albuquerque or Denver (where their state groups are based due to the population). When I was there, I met one of the rangers and asked lots of questions about the park and camping areas. There was too much snow during my visit to actually see the camping area. I told her a little about geocaching and she gave me the name of the park manager (Bob Dye).

After posting my event, one of the locals (in Raton, NM) contacted me about helping out. We exchanged several emails and met for lunch this past Monday. She had gatherd some information from the Chamber of Commerce so I could find out more about Raton. We'll be passing this information out at the event. Her brother-in-law was there and knows the park very well. He's going to help by waypointing interesting places inside the park.

I was also contacted by Sarah Wood, the interpretive ranger for 8 of the state parks in the northeasten area of the state. She has a geocaching account and has found the one cache that is already in the park. She seemed very interested in having a group of geocachers visiting the park for a campout. We exchanged several emails where I asked about the park and if I could place geocaches there. Since I was planning on visiting the park again when there was less snow, I decided to meet her and discuss geocaching face to face. She arranged for Bob to meet with me also. We talked in the office for about 20-30 minutes, then they gave me a tour of the park. They told me that I talked like a ranger since I was interested in increasing the number of visitors to the park, getting those visitors to explore the trails, and wanting to keep those same visitors from destroying any of the natural beauty.

2) Other than reading the forums and printing out CyBret's geocaching pamphlet what did you do to prepare for your meeting?

Since I read the forums on occasion :D I have a good idea of what goes on in all parts of the country. I know some areas have had bad luck dealing with land managers, so I wanted to start off on the right foot by approaching them about caching. It would be much harder to create a favorable geocaching policy if someone had just come in and placed caches everywhere without asking, especially if those caches were placed in sensitive areas. Fortunately, the one cache in Sugarite Park, although placed without permission, was not placed in a sensitive area.

I brought CyBret's brochure, the Geocaching stash-note, 2 sample cache containers, and several types of trinkets (from toys to camping items).

3) What are the odds this will become "formal" policy.

Right now, I have an informal policy with Bob regarding Sugarite Park. I plan to visit some of the other parks in Sarah's area. With her help, I plan on getting an informal policy from each park manager.

4) Are you planning to try for a statewide policy?

Once I have several park managers on our side, I will move up the ladder and see about getting a policy established for all 31 of the State Parks in New Mexico. By then, the park managers I have spoken with will have a good idea of how geocaching is a positive activity that fits with the objectives of the State Parks.

Based on Monday's meeting, we now have an informal policy with Sugarite Canyon State Park (near Raton, NM). They will allow geocaching in the park, but would like geocachers to ask for permission before placing one.

How or from whom does one get this permission?

Great start, great job! :lol:

Just ask to speak with the park manager. If you try a different park and they've never heard of geocaching, you might want to have them call Bob Dye (he is the manager of Sugarite Park)

It's good to hear about the cooperation with state park officials.

We went to caches in several east Texas state parks last fall. Not only were the rangers cooperative they welcomed cachers, of course there was a nominal fee to enter the park. At one park the rangers had even done maintainence by drying out and replacing the cache after someone left the lid open.

I also met a park ranger at a park in Laguna Niguel, Ca that knew were the cache I was seeking was hidden and waited around till I found it to make sure it was still in place.