Whistler Gps100 Galileo Gps @ $100

Gudlyf

I played with one once. RUN AWAY FROM IT FAST!!!!! They are junk. Sometimes you can find one at wal-mart.

They basically tried to make one like the etrex Legend, but with a rotatable screen (like the Darmin V), and expandable memory. Sounds good, However, they are cheap junk and not worth the money.

My advice, get an Etrex Legend, and then wait to buy the maps later (if money is a problem)

jjb

you risk it not working with EasyGPS or GSAK.

As the guy that maintains the GPS interface code used by GSAK, there's a completely determinstic risk - the USB interface used by these is totally not supported by GPSBabel and on the lists with some 27,000 downloads I've never had one request or offer to implement it.

I don't see how this is a Walmart Brand... Whistler has been making quality radar detectors for a very long time.

The other concerns, however, seem justifiable. Though USB seems to be the trend, it's probably a bit ahead of it's time in the GPS interface world. Most of the other features seemed quite reasonable, and it maintains the same waterproofing standard at the Legend.

$100? Would be a great deal, though I don't know if the base maps have any more detail than the base maps on the Legend. Everything seems to be fairly similar...almost patently similar.

So just because of the USB interface, it may not be for Geocaching, but hey. It seems like it's OK.

But the issue is neither here nor there any more. Buy.com is out of 'em, and you'll have a hard time finding one for twice that now. Go get yerself a Legend and be happy!

(By the way, I bought my Legend three weeks ago from offroute.com, an official sponsor of geocaching.com. Paid less than $180 with three day shipping. If you look at the cheapest of Garmins, once you add maps and a PC interface cable, you're about there anyway.)

VF

I picked one of these off of ebay a few weeks ago. Paid $50 for it including shipping.

Unit is good, and accurate as can be expected. Pretty spot on with my first geocache with it.

Like all hand helds. the batteries go fairly quick. going to try some. Ni-mh 2300s to see if I get more time on it.

The usb cable was easy to install and my pc found it quickly. I did have a problem with the software. I had a bad exe file that wouldn't load the program. Called Whistler and they said send it in for a replacement. They think I just got a bad copy.

Overall for the money I paid, I'm happy with it. It's easy to use, not thrilled with the screen graphics but would have to shell out a lot more $ for a colored screen unit.

I wouldn't call it Junk. Think it competes well with units in it's price range. Works for my needs.

I'll let you know how good the mapping software is when they send me the warrantied software.

Ken

Edited by kenaroo

Ok, maybe I can shed some light on this. It is a true Whistler product, and was/is carried by Wal-Mart. However, they are carried in the automotive department in those stores with automotive departments. The bettery (Garmin, Megellin) units are carried in Sporting Goods. Since automotive carries the radar detectors, the automotive buyers in Bentonville AR (homeoffice) thought they would test the waters. It has been an absolute failure. In my years of managing for Wal-mart, we never sold one of the whistler units, but sold tons of the others. The whistler unit, while using a data card for storage, and having USB, and available Maps, was way overpriced for a non-mainstream unit. $299. Now, I have used the Garmin myself and own a 60cs. Now that the Whistler untis have been deleted, they are on clearance. If you know someone who would like to try GPS, but is poor, or just doesn't know if they want to spend the money, get one of the cheapie Whistlers (they are going to get cheaper...Wal-Mart is on an expense saving kick the next few weeks, at that time, they will let us use some more clearance dollars and we'll mark them down to get rid of them. I suspect around $50.) Anyway, not a bad unit. Just a companies forray into an area that they are not used to being in and not doing it as well as the competition. Its not crap though. Just very NOT mainstream.

Hope this helps

Darren