You Never Know Who's Sitting Beside You

Stonedust

:D I've found some of the caches in the past, but never thought about the benchmarks. I printed out a few this morning, and was sitting at the local Old Farts Club having coffee, and reading the printouts.

Guy next to me asked what I was reading and I told him. The real old timer on the other side of me started telling us about one of his first jobs, working with the 'feds' back in 1942, putting in many of the benchmarks right around my area. He then went up the road with me, and showed me where the one I had been heading for should have been! That intersection was redone a few years ago, and it was taken out. That would have been OC2681.

He was paid $50 every two weeks for the work, and went all over York County in Maine.

You never know !

Yea ya never know,I have a 90+ year old friend who use to drag a chain for the Federal BLM Land Surveys in New Mexico.He was one of the one's who was insrumental in my progress.

They had to close a 6 mile Township(36 square miles) wthin 27 links or they had to go back and do it all over until it closed within the limits of the survey.

No exceptions.

CCC did not get paid very much either.

:o I've found some of the caches in the past, but never thought about the benchmarks. I printed out a few this morning, and was sitting at the local Old Farts Club having coffee, and reading the printouts.

Guy next to me asked what I was reading and I told him. The real old timer on the other side of me started telling us about one of his first jobs, working with the 'feds' back in 1942, putting in many of the benchmarks right around my area. He then went up the road with me, and showed me where the one I had been heading for should have been! That intersection was redone a few years ago, and it was taken out. That would have been OC2681.

He was paid $50 every two weeks for the work, and went all over York County in Maine.

You never know !

What "Old Farts" club would that be?

John

:D I've found some of the caches in the past, but never thought about the benchmarks. I printed out a few this morning, and was sitting at the local Old Farts Club having coffee, and reading the printouts.

You never know !

John

You know !!

One of those coffee shop/bookstore/convenience store/snooker parlor places where the seems to be an abundance of old farts and BS :o:D:mad:

I know this because my husband belongs to several in our town...they make the rounds each morning at certain times...its like watching a ballet of old bulls....

:mad::mad::P:D:D:P

You never know !

John

You know !!

One of those coffee shop/bookstore/convenience store/snooker parlor places where the seems to be an abundance of old farts and BS :D:D:lol:

I know this because my husband belongs to several in our town...they make the rounds each morning at certain times...its like watching a ballet of old bulls....

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D

Oh, yah, we forgot since we moved to a 'new' small town in AZ. (incorp. in 57), we do not have any Mom & Pop places where all of the 'old farts' just sit around & talk away the day. But, we do remember some of those places in Indiana where we hail from. :D

Thank you for the 'flashback'!

~2oldfarts~

You never know !

John

You know !!

One of those coffee shop/bookstore/convenience store/snooker parlor places where the seems to be an abundance of old farts and BS :D:lol::D

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:D

Oh, yah, we forgot since we moved to a 'new' small town in AZ. (incorp. in 57), we do not have any Mom & Pop places where all of the 'old farts' just sit around & talk away the day. But, we do remember some of those places in Indiana where we hail from. :D

Thank you for the 'flashback'!

~2oldfarts~

LOL....we moved here to NM in 75 from suburbs of Chicago...to a town of 12,000.

When we first came here I remember walking on Main St., dodging spit wads coming out the door of the local snooker parlor. Made me jump in the air more then once I can tell you...icky habit...

Still have the local newspaper and magazine shop, where you can get homemade vanilla cokes, coffee and sundries.

The tour buses from NY and NJ used to stop for the passengers to get some reading material and go to the local buffet before heading back toward civilization.

What a hoot to watch...winter pale, and with el cheapo cowboy hats.

Kinda miss those days :D:D

edited for sucky grammer

Edited by woof n lulu

My Old Stomping Grounds New Mexico,That is the area where I got Poisened with Mercury and have not been back up there in quite a while.

One of these day's when me and TIGGR get out to the OLD Farts Club I will show you some awesome PRE-Historic Sites.

I guess with what I see here age wise I am getting close to being and Old ....Well something.

That is close to where Don my friend that pulled the chains across New Mexico lives.

And Grandma lives there too.Nellie Jo

My Aunt and Uncle as well,oh well enough family we will get out to the OLD FARTS CLUB soon.

TIGGR is headed to SW NM next week to Deming.I wish I was not so busy here I would have a cup of Joe with my OLD buddy Joe.

Have a bowl of beefarts and chile.

You never know who's in your own family. either. My dad occasionally referenced his surveying days in Korea, and when I mentioned benchmark hunting, he showed me some newspaper articles of when his company the 537th Eng. Company, 30th Battalion surveyed the Okefenoke Swamp in southern Georgia.

We were able to find description of the sites and a couple others around the country. He told me of how they built a tower at one site, and his buddy almost fell off, and he told me of another site where a crazy old retired general came out to salute them as they tried not to fall off their survey tower. :rolleyes: