Caches

Wrong Way Ron

Im going to set up a cache this weekend and Im looking for idea's on things to put in it.

Things for kids and audults I will also throw in a travel bug I just have to activate it is all.

I all ready have a micro built I just have to place it so any imput would be great :bad:

Edited by Wrong Way Ron

You will have different opinions from everyone- so here is mine. Go to your local dollar store and stock it full of new goodies. There will be kids stuff and big people stuff- it will be new and you won't spend a fortune. Get something a little nicer than the rest for the First To Find people. Have fun with it!

What do you like to find in a cache?

Personally I think caching and hiking related items are my favorite like compasses, whistles, thermoniters. That could just be because I'm relatively new to caching. Other good things are carabiners, pins, patches, key chains, rain ponchos, spare batterys. Don't forget the kids, just go down the cheap toy aisle at your local store and check out all the trucks, balls, and other toys that can be found. All these things can usually be found for under a dollar. If your having trouble finding cheap swag check out your local dollar store. You can find enough different items in one of those stores to fill more caches than you could ever hide. It doesn't have to be expensive to be cool. Just put some thought into it and try to hide what you would like to find or what your kids (or kids you know) would like to find.

Here is a partial list of things I've left in caches. Many are under a buck and most are under $3:

Small US flags

US flag pins

modeling clay

carabiners

Energizer squeeze lights

stickers

bags of toy soldiers

Swiss Army knives (now banned :bad: )

water colors

mini screwdriver sets

allen wrench sets

gel pens

boxes of crayons or colored chalk

emergency rain ponchos

packs of AA batteries

collectable coins (buffalo nickels, indian head pennies, SBA or Sacagawea dollars)

music CD's

blank RW CD's

cassettes (blank and recorded)

calculators

clip on safety strobes

bungee cords

LED key lights

"euro" stickers & other decals

mini sewing kits

maps (hiking & road)

software

travel packs of Wet Ones or Baby Wipes

Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars

key rings

bags of balloons

velcro fasteners

interesting buttons

padlocks

foreign money

rolls of film

lighters

kazoos

Leatherman type multi tools (now banned ;) )

movies on VHS & DVD

office supplies (packs of paper clips, thumb tacks, Post-Its, etc...)

Mylar emergency blankets

decks of cards

new wallets

individual packs of Armor-All & Rain-X wipes

survival whistles

Wheresgeorge bills and stamps

Geocaching.com hats, pins, patches and compasses

I 2nd all that bri said, I've left most of that stuff. I also like to leave small travel games, crossword puzzles, hidden picture books etc in caches that are sure to stay dry.. well as sure as possible (nothing will stay dry forever). If you want "girly" stuff you can do sample lotions, pot holders, mini bubble baths, barretts, hair ties, nail files etc.. just try to stay away from heavily scented items.

It's not what, it's where. In Omaha, these are my favorites. Look for stores like these.

Nobbies - extremely cheap kids toys. (when you want to leave a bag of superballs)

Harbor Freight - extreme cheap tools (100 yard measuring tape for benchmarkers - $4)

American Science and Surplus - if you have to ask, don't. (just bizarre)

Canfields - everything outdoors. (compasses, fishing gear, etc...)

Aki Oriental - The Godzilla supply store for Omaha. (I never know what I'll find.)

Some of the items I left in my caches (or used as trade items) are:

A disposable camera (develop the film and post cachers pictures on the web)

Magnetic address books

Small asian figurines (dragons, buddha, etc)

Keychains

Caribiners (some with a compass or flashlight attached to them)

Lanyards

Magnetic picture frames

Mini etch-a-sketch toys

Hotwheels cars

Air Force playing cards

Domino sets

Extra batteries (in a plastic bag, never loose in the cache)

Chinese finger traps

Mardi Gras beads

There have been 2 caches local to me that started with only one item inside - it wasn't a FTF prize either, just unique. I kind of like this idea - the onus is on the first finders to fill it with stuff, if they want.

Whatever you put in, it's likely to experience cache entropy, where all good items slowly decay into broken toys.

When I hide my first, I'm going to focus on the hide, location and the camo job instead of the contents.

I have the same problem figuring out what. Except mine is that since I'm a girl, I tend to think like a girl, so I keep having to remind myself that guys cache too, and I can't fill the cache with all girly stuff. lol.

Right now, I have an Italian charm bracelet charm, a regular charm bracelet charm, and a dollar. I'd like at least one other item that I could put in. I wish I could find some of those new nickles.

For a regular sized cache, though, I must agre.. Just go to dollar tree and go up and down the aisles.