Archiving A Cache

Old Fogies

Local urban junk I'll archive either when all the locals have gotten it, or when I get tired of owning the cache.

Remote caches that don't need a lot of maintanance because nobody is finding them, I don't worry about and they can stay for years. Given time the locals will make it out and find them. Until then they are fine. If I archived it it's not like someone will rush out and fill the vacume like in town.

I'll archive a cache that has been plundered if I don't plan on replacing it. Other than that, I leave them out there and just maintain them when needed. Every once in a while, someone comes in from out of state and is happy to have caches available to find. We only have 500 or so in the state, so I'm not inclined to archive any unless they need it.

:lol: CO

We planted a cache in October which is out of the way. Only four people have searched for it. How long do you suggest we wait to archive it? In general how long do you wait before archiving any cache?

I don't know what Idaho's whether is like but here in Michigan there isn't as much caching going on in the winter time. Anything hidden on the ground gets buried in the snow. With the weather warming up around here caching is getting a lot more active.

I'm a fair weather cacher I don't go out in the snow, rain or cold. I also only hunt and fish when the weather is nice. To me quality is more important to quantity so I only go when I will enjoy it the most. I have a 2 year old that I want to spend time with and I love to bring her along. She can't go when the weather isn't nice. As an added bonus Mom doesn't mind so much when I take off if I give her a break by taking the kid with me.

Archive it when you're tired of taking care of it. Otherwise, there is no reason not to leave it. I have caches that have gone 6 or more months between finds. I still think they are in a neat area, so I leave them for new geocachers and people who might be traveling in my region. Often, there will be a flurry of finds after several months of inactivity. I think that's because some geocachers will wait for a recent find before looking for a cache.

In most cases, particularly for more remote caches, after the first few weeks when all the local regulars find the cache, it will sit for quite a while between finds.

Edited by briansnat