Gps In Trees

camnpete

My GPSr begins giving me erroneous directions once I enter a grove of trees. I realize that this is because it can't see the satellites, but are there any tricks I can use to get as close as possible to the cache? It's very frustrating to know that you're close, but not close enough to find the cache. :D

My GPSr begins giving me erroneous directions once I enter a grove of trees. I realize that this is because it can't see the satellites, but are there any tricks I can use to get as close as possible to the cache? It's very frustrating to know that you're close, but not close enough to find the cache. :D

Well one trick that I've used several times was to stub my toe on the cache without knowing where it was. That got me pretty close.

As far as getting the gps to cooperate and get you closer in the situation you mentioned, well sometimes you just have to accept the fact that the gps will not be helpful sometimes.

If there is a hint you can always try to use that if the gps refuses to cooperate.

One thing I do when accuracy is a problem is to switch between the map view (after selecting waypoint, goto) and the arrow. I'll even use the satelite screen, and just watch the coordinates & move accordingly.

Between the 3 screens, and remebering to Look Up from the screen - I get by under most cover- Just my .02

Edited by Pto

I was thinking that I really need to find my magnetic compass, unused for many years, and perhaps now lost. That way, I can at least get a bearing before I enter the trees and maybe keep going in somewhat the right direction in case the GPS craps out on me.

The trees/bushes are just starting to get buds on them here, and I'm thinking in a matter of weeks things could get murky in spots.

I think there are quite a few others who use a compass to supplement the GPSr, especially in the summer.