Pda-gpx Mystery...

Andy and Robin

Twice now I have loaded a gpx file containing 1432 caches to my pda using cachemate and the cmconverter program. The first time it said I had 1427 caches in my PDA according to cachemate record count. What happened to the other five? So I decided to delete them all and try again. This time it said I had 1429 caches in the PDA! Now missing three. If I convert this gpx file to a mps file and upload to Mapsource on my computer it shows all 1432 caches. When cachemate is importing the records it say 10 of 1432 and 20 of 1432 and so on. Any ideas? And none of the missing files are ending up in any other categories in cachemate.

How much memory is left when you've finished importing the caches? Could be some clue, as that is quite a few for most PDAs to handle. There needs to be some memory left to perform some of the other functions as well (bookmarks, nearest cache search, etc.).

If the progress dialog is saying the correct number, then CMConvert handled all of them. The import process in CacheMate also only looks at records that existed before it starts importing a file when checking for duplicates (part of a speed optimization).

Hrm.. don't know what could be causing it, then. Did it say that there was an error importing, or that it was successful? How many records does the count show if you select the "All" category?

Another thing might be to download a program like Filez (can find it on Palmgear.com and other places), which will tell you exactly how many records are in a Palm database. The database to look for is Items-cMat.

ok I think I found it. I had three caches in a catagory I made called "did not find" When I emptied out my pda to install the new set I left those three in the dnf category. So I guess cachemate saw them in there as they were part of the group of 1432 I was loading. Seems kinda wierd though as I was uploading to the unfiled category. But it does seem to account for the three missing from the unfiled category.

Thanks for your help, it was when I counted "ALL" records that it did indeed show 1432 caches. Not sure how I managed to not delete those three files though considering I managed to delete all of my 200 something Locationless caches...I thought I was only deleting the unfiled category...

Glad you found it.

Yeah, the option to preserve the category of any record that was updated in the process of import merging was added last November, and that's what's causing what you're seeing. I don't remember offhand, though, if I had it enabled or disabled by default.