what would be considered advertising?

Maos_and_Co

I've been reading some of these posts, and now I feel kinda bad that I left some of my magnets (as well as other things) at my first caches that I found.

I always tried to leave more than I took - but I suspect that while my magnets are a very personal thing to me others will consider them ads - as they promote my Web site.

Will people think I'm uncool because I leave a memento that is actually ME but also acts as an advertisement of sorts? And does it help that I also leave other things as well?

I really enjoy this new hobby, and Spot the travel bug (who actually is an ad for 7Up if you want to get technical) is watching me type wondering what cold cache he'll be placed in next (see his movements if you want more info on cold vs. hot...). But I don't want to think that my magnets will piss people off. icon_confused.gif

[This message was edited by JennK on April 16, 2002 at 10:11 AM.]

Just visited your website. Not my cup of tea but, that is not the point.

I have quite a few magnets on my frig, all are from different businesses and only a few I have done business with. I do not have a problem with this. You are not pressuring someone to use your site but they now know its there and available. If someone takes this magnet (you are only leaving one yes?) it's their option.

JMHO icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

The rule of thumb that I have found in other threads is this.

A business advertising trinket is ok if it's usefull like a pocket knife. This is in cases where the item has a value outside it's advertizing. A magnet is iffy. One notch above a business card. So it's hard to judge.

But the rule of thumb is this. If you trade normally and always include a magnet or biz card to say you were there as your signature items, you are good to go.

If all you do is trade biz card magnets (you didn' say exactly) exclusively you might want to start trading other items also.

Like another poster said. They collect the magnets.

So...

Ignore everything I just said.

I don't have a problem with your leaving magnets with your webpage being promoted ... (I hate the popups on your page though) ... but you might want to edit your post ... remove the Travel bug serial number ... not a good thing to do ... with the number ... anyone can log it without finding it ... or just screw with the thing ... yes there are people out there without a life ... so I'd remove it from your post.

348_2702.gif

Thanks to everyone who responded. That clarifies a lot for me, and makes me feel better. To answer some of your questions/comments:

Yes, I hate the popups on my page too, unfortunately, I'm not given a choice on them...

I do leave something other than the magnets. I don't leave handfuls, but I was leaving two - mostly because it seemed cheap to leave just one and my other toy.

Thanks again,

Jennifer

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

(I hate the popups on your page though)

Yeah, I hate the popups too.

quote:

... but you might want to edit your post ... remove the Travel bug serial number ... not a good thing to do ... with the number ... anyone can log it without finding it

Thanks, I've removed the number - you'd think after nine years on the Internet I would know better. Ah well.