Water Tight Geocache Containers

tandem

What is a good water tight containers? I'm thinking of doing a multi cache on a lake we live on. Paddle to different points on the lake to find clues to the final cache. The final cache would be in the lake on a chain. Near my home so I can watch it and maybe meet soom of the cachers that come by.

I've been using large Coleman thermoses lately. I find them at thrift stores like value Village and Goodwill stores for a couple of bucks. I figure, if it's designed to keep liquids in, then it should be good at keeping them out as well. Haven't sunk a cache in a lake yet, tho. Maybe you could test one out.

I'd probabaly calk the spout somehow, or paint it shut.

Edited by 2qwerqE

Waterproof container: M258A1 Decon.

One of my caches this winter (GCHKJM), appropriately named "Fifteen Below", required the container be immersed in water. When the first finders arrived (perhaps 36 hours later), not a drop had gotten inside. Of course, the "water" wasn't always liquid...

The decon does not use a gasket like an ammocan, but the lid fits tightly enough to render it waterproof even for (at least short-term) full immersion.

Ok this is from a diver. Let me assure you that no container stays waterproof forever, none, nadda, zip, nope it ain't gonna happen.

My suggestion for any cache that is to be placed in water is to not even try to make it waterproof. Make it a cage type of deal like a crab trap and place only items in it that can sustain water. The logbook can be a dive slate. Simple and foolproof :blink:

Edited by Lazyboy & Mitey Mite

This is supportive of a couple of theories...

Flossmoor's First Law Of Geocache Entropy:

All cache containers, regardless of quality, cost, or planning, will deteriorate over time.

Flossmoor's Second Law of Geocache Entropy:

Every visit to the cache hastens this deterioration.

Even if there was a way to create a "perfect container", it would only be as good as the most recent visitor's care in assuring it is properly sealed. After all, with some variability, one can generally count on at least one in every five visitors neglecting to properly "burp" the Tupperware.

Given all this: does anyone's definition of "waterproof" in this discussion include the word "invincibility"? If so, disappointment is imminent. Ammocans and their gaskets come used (sometimes by decades), not new. Decons are a little newer. Both beat Rubbermaid like a Smith and Wesson beats four aces.