Okay, You Get The Dog If I Can Have The Ftfs...

Here's an etiquette question for you folks:

My GF and I started caching this past January and have been having a fantastic time. In the beginning, I registered myself on geocaching.com and my identity quickly became our *team* identity.

Problem is, she and I are now *both* completely hooked, and she's off in Europe for the Summer and has already purchased a second GPSr to take with her.

She's considering registering herself on the site as well, but is wondering if people would take great offence if she went back and logged finds for herself that were originally found by the two of us under our team name.

How have other people handled such a situation?

Just like you are doing it. As long as she mentions what she's doing, and logs the correct date, and only logs the ones she's actually done, I see no problem.

By the same token, if this is going to become "your" account, then after she gets caught up, you should delete any (if there are any) caches she found that you didn't.

Even when you almost always cache together, separate accounts is the way to go if both parts are equally enthused about caching.

Often the different logs by the same team tell very different parts of the same story, and make for good reading.

This is done all the time. When she sets up her account, she should have a standard log description to paste onto each cache you visited together, something like this:

I found this cache with LeadMagnet, and I'm logging it late because I just set up a separate account.  Thanks for the cache!

Then all she needs to do is have your list of found caches up on the screen, and then go onto each page, find the date of your log, add her own log, adjust the date from today's date to the original log date, and paste in the standard text.

And to answer your other question, personally I think that each of you should get half the dog and half of the FTF's, but maybe that's just a divorced guy's mentality. I would hold out for the front half of the dog & would consider this a minor victory.

Seperate logs are the way to go especially if you might do some seperate caching. I go with my son alot and we both like to log our finds. My son being a 14 year old he is a man of few works so I have to try to encouragehimto write something interesting or funny about our experience. This usually works best on caches where I was totally stumped and he walks right up to the cache. It happens more than I would like to admit. :lol:

As for the FTF when we go even as a group we all look for the cache. The goal is to not get so excited that you blurt out that you have found the cache rather you wander off to one side andthen announce that you know where it is. Who ever see it first gets first choice ofthe Stuff. If you want to give up you can but you usually will have to utter some defeatist phrase like "You are the cache master and I am but a humble pretender." Then MAYBE the other guy will let you in on the secret. A little friendly competition never hurt anyone.

Edited by Cannonlaw

I personally see little point in going over the previous finds and reposting with the new account some canned response. I'm always dismayed when such logs come through.

It doesn't benefit the cache owner any, and all it does is create an additional online trail, IE, waste of resources.

Save it to your own offline database if you want an additional copy!

Just pointing out the other side (no benefit, multiple detriments),

Randy

The benefit is not to the cache owner but rather to cacher herself.

Save it to your own offline database if you want an additional copy!

The above does not help the cacher herself when she runs pocket queries or 'filter finds'. She needs the cache find to be registered at the web site and thus should register the cache.

The above does not help the cacher herself when she runs pocket queries or 'filter finds'.

Good point, I've never done the former and hardly ever do the later so didn't think of that impact as it wouldn't affect me.

Hmm, goes to the feature request of being able to check off caches you personally want to ignore. That would resolve all those issues.

Enjoy,

Randy

We are a family of four that caches under the Cacheola Crew handle. However, Cacheola Dad goes on deployments, and so he created "Cacheola" just for his solo finds. When we are together, there is just one log under the team name and any finds that are under his name are ones that no other team members were with him.

Cacheola Crew Mom