Star Chart Software For Gps?

Some friends and I were looking at Jupiter and Saturn last night through the telescope. Someone asked "Where's the moon?" I looked up and didn't see it. "Hang on a sec," I said. "Be right back". I dashed to the car and retrieved my GPSr. It said the moon would not rise for another half hour so we went inside to freshen our drinks. I got to thinking if my GPS can tell me the position of the moon and sun then why not stars and planets?

Does anyone know of mapping software for stars and planets that would tell you what's visible from your location and at what time?

The sun & moon data is programmed into the GPSr's firmware. They could, in theory, provide planetary data in a firmware update, but the manufacturers probably feel that the (low) demand for such data doesn't justify the (programming) work involved in putting it in.

There may not be enough storage space available on the firmware chip to store instructions for all 8 planets, or even the 5 visible ones.

We may see such data in future models a few years from now, but don't hold your breath until then.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Planetarium for Palm is good and when linked to the GPSr will ensure the data given is for your exact location.

BTW, yesy, you can see Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus and Mercury after sunset leter this month, although they are spread right across the sky.

Good luck. I spent over thirty years from my first atempt to see Mercury until I finally got to spot it in the glow of the setting sun.