Note 11a?

Nylimb

The description of benchmark JT1983 says, among other things:

REFERENCE MARK NUMBER 1 IS A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED G W M 62 (USGS) 1949, AS DESCRIBED IN NOTE 11A WHICH PROJECTS ABOUT 2 INCHES AND IS ABOUT THE SAME ELEVATION AS THE STATION.

Its descriptions of RM2 and the azimuth mark also mention NOTE 11A.

Can anyone tell me what that refers to?

In the Manual on Geodetic Triangulation they describe the procedures and spec's for establishing the marks and 11A is one of the spec numbers. The book is no longer available but we had one of them at work.

I recall somewhat about these notes but its been years since I looked over the book so I can't recall it in detail.

From Coast & Geodetic Survey Special Publication 247, "Manual of Triangulation" (out of print), pg 121 - "Note 11 - A standard reference-mark disk, with the arrow pointing toward the station, set at the center of the top of (a) a square block or post of concrete, (:lol: a concrete cylinder, © an irregular mass of concrete."

Dave or Mike,

Do you know how I could obtain a copy of this manual? Or do you know if the key to these "notes" might be listed online somewhere? I've seen references to several different notes (for example, LY2682's description refers to Notes 1A, 8A, and 12C in addition to 11A) and I've wondered if knowing their meaning might assist in finding the marks.

Thanks,

~Zhanna

Was this publication replaced by the NGS Bluebook?

The Bluebook is online in PDF format at http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/FGCS/BlueBook/.

As a public domain government publication, it seems there would be no reason why a copy could not be posted online, if a copy can be found and scanned.

However, at 344 pages it is not a short pamphlet. See this listing found in a published bibliography:

C&GS Special Publication 247. Manual of geodetic triangulation by Gossett, Franklin R., January 1950, 344 p., $25.00

-ArtMan-

As a public domain government publication, it seems there would be no reason why a copy could not be posted online, if a copy can be found and scanned.

It's possible that I could scan this publication and make it available, if people would find it useful and if I could obtain a copy. What are your thoughts ... anyone??

~Zhanna

It's possible that I could scan this publication and make it available, if people would find it useful and if I could obtain a copy. What are your thoughts ... anyone??

It sounds useful - but for maximum usefulness it make take some distilling. After all, we're not setting the marks so we won't need a ton of detail, but something telling us what the end results look like would be useful.