Just Curious? And What's Your Favorite?

crafters

Hello all,

From my recent new-found interest in benchmarks after a little break from being on the hunt I've been exploring markers of all kinds in the areas that we commonly visit. So, I've noticed that certain people like to find certain kinds of markers.

Thus striking up the question what is your favorite thing to look for? (Triangulation Stations, Survey Disks, Reference Points, Azimuth Markers, etc.)

And post a pic of your favorite find!

Standing by :huh:

crafters

Probably my favorite find:

cd39d1bb-a833-4b6d-93f7-8f8e9c63602c.jpg

This was my first find just .76 miles from my home placed in a rock in a large field. I realized today that it has an azimuth mark to go with it and I think I'll chase for that one tomorrow! Looking foward to the replies!

Edited by crafters

I'll search for anything that has a PID, and any number of other things that don't (no-PID USGS marks, for example). My favorites, however, are old stones. The four main types of old stones I hunt are:

1. Mason-Dixon stones like JU3903

60521_300.jpg

2. 1751 Transpeninsular Line (DE-MD) survey stones like HU1686

58761_200.jpg

3. 1849 Graham Survey stones like JU3840

60556_100.jpg

4. 1892 DE-PA Circle Boundary stones like JU4238

74020_200.jpg

I pretty much structure my benchmark hunting to go after the stones, and I'll seek out any disks, spires, tanks or rods in the vicinity of the stones or along my route to and from.